News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

36 Series 85 Fleetwood question

Started by Mark Lewis, June 13, 2006, 07:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Lewis

I work at The Autry National Center, a Western Heritage Museum in Los Angeles. We are thinking of borrowing a 1936 Series 85 Fleetwood for an upcoming exhibit celebrating the centennial of Gene Aurtrys Birth.

My question is about the maximum width of the car (including bumpers, etc.). Im trying to find out if it will fit in our front doors. I already know that it is too long to fit in our freight elevator. If you happen to have that info or can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

The nearest thing I could find were the front and rear treads:
front 60 3/16 rear 62 1/2. Other dimensions: overall length
213 1/2; wheelbase 138; weight 5065-5300 depending on body style.

Mark Lewis

Rusty,

Thanks very much for the info. I m guessing those widths do not include the fenders or running board. So I will keep up the search.

Thanks again,

Mark

Rhino 21150

The best info I can track down puts the car at 78 inches wide and possibly as long as 245 inches. This is based on a wheeltread of 62.5" v 60.5 for my 5019 and the 5019s measured width of 75 inches. BTW it weighs in at 5100 pounds, plus or minus 150. Plus 210 pounds for a full tank! HTH.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I had found weights for the complete 36-85 line, but only gave a weight range as Mark did not say which body style Twelve he was going to borrow.

Mark Lewis

This is getting interesting. We measured our front openning at 78" with the doors off. Thats the main issue. I dont think weight is a concern.

Thanks!

Mark Lewis

The car weve been looking at is on the wesite conceptcarz.com. I contacted someone at the website but he wasnt able to give me more info than was on that page. There are some great pictures and specs of the car. But again total width not weight is the issue.

Thanks

Mike Simmons #938

Marc- I believe the Fleetwood 75s and 85s of 1937 are the same as the 1936 bodies. According to the 37 data book, maximum width is 75 inches at the front fenders. Looks like you have just enough room-if you have everything lined up right. If necessary, remove the entry doors at the hinges to  be safe, and gain an inch or so.

John Tozer #7946

Mark,

Drop Ty Stinson a line at tstinson@mde.state.md.us - he has a 37 V12 and should be able to give you the dimensions. They are all but the same to my knowledge.

Regards,

John Tozer

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

That is a very beautiful car in the most desirable body style (convertible sedan). It was worth having to dodge the audio/visual barrage of being the lucky winner yet again of a free* laptop computer at the conceptcarz website. That site really improves my luck because every time I visit Im the big winner.

Mark Lewis

Thats great news. That would give us about about 3" clearance with the museum doors off.

Thanks Mike.

Mark Lewis

Thanks John. Ill try him to confirm the dimension.

Mark

T.L. (Ty) Stinson CLC #22330

Hello Mark:

When I get home I will provide the exact measurements for you. Also, I have a line drawing I will send you that may show those dimensions.

Ty

Ty Stinson CLC #22330

Hello Mark:

Im still at the office but I have sent you an email with the windows bit map line drawing of the car. The drawing shows length of 215", width being 75", and a height of 70.5 inches.

The 37 Cadillac Series 75 and 85 are identical. The difference is the size of the engine. The 85 has a V 12 and the 75 has a V 8. The 85 should weigh 5,050 pounds.

Ty Stinson

Mark Lewis

Ty,

This is exactly the information I needed. It looks like the car will go through the openning quite well.

Thanks!!

Mark