All Cads

Author Topic: Brand New 390 Water pumps  (Read 1172 times)

Michael Stamps 19507

Brand New 390 Water pumps
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:55:02 PM »
This was posted on another board but these are brand new not rebuilt.

http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/index.php/topic,3854.0.html

Stampie

John #22631

Re: Brand New 390 Water pumps
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 09:02:02 PM »
Thanks for the link Michael. Now your favorite car can run more perfectly now than before. Im going to get one just to have on hand.

John

David CLC14765

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 03:38:01 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to the Cadillac Forum -Flowcooler water pumps.

I have a question about one of the post stating not to buy a pump with the stamped sheet metal impeller but to be sure and get the enclosed type. What is the reasoning for this?

The reason I ask, I have a 63 CDV that has had the water pump with the open or sheet metal impeller, for quite some time. I have also had a heat problem that Ive been chasing with not a lot of luck curing. This car didnt overheat until I had a motor rebuild several years back. The pump the rebuild shop put in had the open impeller as does the one I recently replaced it with when it started leaking. I dont remember the pump style that I had in it before the motor was rebuilt, it may have been the closed impeller.

I have a very old worn out pump left over from a repair in the 70s that has the closed impeller. I asked NAPA about the difference when I recently bought a new pump and they said the open one would flow more water.

There are several other 63-64 Cadillac owners on the MSN board that have similar heating problems. Could this difference of the impeller be the cure and the cause??

Thanks,
David

Michael Stamps 19507

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 04:14:19 AM »
The post on that link went very quickly to the 472/500 engines.  The water pumps they are talking about are for those engines and not stock but high performance versions of them.  I have no idea how those thoughts will affect a 429.

Stampie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

All Cads