News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Brand New 390 Water pumps

Started by Michael Stamps 19507, June 16, 2006, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Stamps 19507

John #22631

Thanks for the link Michael. Now your favorite car can run more perfectly now than before. Im going to get one just to have on hand.

John

David CLC14765

Thanks for posting the link to the Cadillac Forum -Flowcooler water pumps.

I have a question about one of the post stating not to buy a pump with the stamped sheet metal impeller but to be sure and get the enclosed type. What is the reasoning for this?

The reason I ask, I have a 63 CDV that has had the water pump with the open or sheet metal impeller, for quite some time. I have also had a heat problem that Ive been chasing with not a lot of luck curing. This car didnt overheat until I had a motor rebuild several years back. The pump the rebuild shop put in had the open impeller as does the one I recently replaced it with when it started leaking. I dont remember the pump style that I had in it before the motor was rebuilt, it may have been the closed impeller.

I have a very old worn out pump left over from a repair in the 70s that has the closed impeller. I asked NAPA about the difference when I recently bought a new pump and they said the open one would flow more water.

There are several other 63-64 Cadillac owners on the MSN board that have similar heating problems. Could this difference of the impeller be the cure and the cause??

Thanks,
David

Michael Stamps 19507

The post on that link went very quickly to the 472/500 engines.  The water pumps they are talking about are for those engines and not stock but high performance versions of them.  I have no idea how those thoughts will affect a 429.

Stampie