News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

67 DeVille intermittent starting problems....

Started by Russ #204777, June 17, 2006, 08:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ #204777

My 67 DeVille runs fine. However, when I have to shut it down after running for a while ( like to pump gas) sometimes it wont start, other times it will.  When it wont start, I will turn the key and the dash lights, radio etc will all come on, but nothing from under the hood..complete silence...the starter does nothing... When this happens I let it cool off for a few more minutes or I get it jumped and it starts right up.  The battery and starter have both been replaced in the past year, the alternator belt is nice and tight etc....

Any ideas of whats going on ? or is just he Texas heat getting to it.  thanks.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Start with the simple stuff, it could very well be corrosion at the battery terminals.  Remove the cables from the battery and clean the battery and cable terminals with a wire brush or terminal cleaning tool that should be in everyones toolbox.  While youre at the battery and starter make sure all connections are snug.  
Do you hear a click every time you turn the key to the start position?  If so that could mean a bad/malfunctioning solenoid on the starter.  They can usually be taken apart and cleaned.  I would bet it is one of those things, that is the usual drill.  After that it gets more complicated, bad/worn ignition switch, bad wire somewhere making intermittent contact, etc.

Russ

the battery is new, the terminals are all clean etc, even has new cables from the battery to the starter....and when I turn they key...there is nothing...no clicking nothing...just the dash lights come on....

Lou CLC 19028

I had this exact problem on a 70 Coupe many years ago. For me a new starter fixed it. I have had bad new starters in the past. Do not assume the rebuilt starter you installed is working properly.

Lou

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Lou is certainly right.  Could be a bad rebuild, could be one of the brushes not making good contact, could still be the solenoid as I mentioned, AND I would still get down in there and make sure the cable connection at the starter is snug. Just because the cables were replaced within the last year doesnt mean they were properly tightened ........ unless YOU did the work of course.  :-)
If everything else above checks out you still need to consider the possibility the ign. switch is going.

Justin Crosby #22536

It sounds like the heat is causing the winding in the solanoid to open or at least have high resistance. when that happens no magnetic field and no start. Try a new solanoid it is a very common problem with the high preformance world due to large tube headers and small areas.