News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

water damage on leather interior

Started by kerry lange, June 18, 2006, 12:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerry lange

My wife left a damp towel on the rear seat of my car. The next day, the burgundy leather was noticeably lighter in the exact area where the towel was. It has not improved in the past 24 hours. Ive tried leather conditioner and mink oil. Any suggestions other than divorce?

JIM CLC # 15000

06-18-06
Kerry, wives have been known to do that.  Have her put a damp towel on the rest of the seat to make all of the color the same. Dont divorce her!
Good Luck, JIM

Rhino 21150

repair water damage to leather  Put that in Google, many good ideas to be had.

Brett

Keep the mark, dont fix it. Let it remain as a visual aid in your arsenal for when she claims to be always right.

I have 3 marks on the tailgate of my Aviator from when my wife opened the gate in our low hanging garage. Took 3 marks for her to beleive that this was a problem!

Bill Burton #19057

Go to an upholstery shop in your area and ask who can they might know that does leather color matching.  Another possibility, as crazy as it sounds, it to find a shoe repair shop.  They often stain leather shoes to match colors of purses, etc.  Some are very good at it.  It is far from a lost cause.  Or, shoe shine sections often have stains for shoes.  See if you can find to match.  Take small steps and work slowly.  New car dealerships often have access to people who do repairs such as this on new cars as well as used ones they get in and dont want to completely redo a car.  Check there also.  There are options and possibilities if you are persistant.  Best wishes, Bill Burton

Scott Howard CLC# 22304

My 1962 series 62 convertible had been kept in a garage for 27 years. Driven in and park with no preparation done for storing. The leather was hard, very dry & very dirty.  I used the 2 step clean & revuvinating process from a company in South Carolina called  Leatherique. It brought the color back softened the leather and cleaned it up so much even my wife commented on it. They have other products related to that also. Good luck.  Scott.

Kerry Lange

Well, you wont believe this, but the mark disappeared by just leaving it alone. As I mentioned, my initial application of mink oil and Tanners Preseve made no difference. Just driving around town for the past two weeks with the top down with sunny and hot temperatures seems to have gradually solved the problem. I just went out and checked again and there is no visible stain. Thanks for all the advice.

Bill Burton #19057

Congratulations!  What a great outcome for you!  Obviously, youve kept the upholstery in good condition and the water didnt actually permanently stain the fibers.  Enjoy!  Best wishes,  Bill Burton

Scott Howard CLC #22304

Ditto from Bills post.  As the old saying goes, if it aint broke dont fix it.The best advice ever.