News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac 49 rear axle overhaul?

Started by Thomas Bredahl, June 20, 2006, 06:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Bredahl

After having driven my fastback a couple thousand miles, I find that its having, what seems to be, a worn ring and pinion/possibly bearings too.

I will want to do a complete look-over, resealing it and swapping the worn bits for new.

Where (if possible) do I get these parts?
Cant seem to find any vendors offering kits for these rear ends, or maybe Im looking for the wrong thing.
Did Cadillac share this axle with other GM products?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Thomas,

Firstly, the Cadillac Diff is a Cadillac part only.

The bearings and seals for the Cadillac Differentials and axles are available at any reputable bearing supplier, but that is about all.

The Differential as a unit, that is the Crown Wheel and Crownwheel carrier were only available as a replacement unit from Cadillac.

Cadillac made the units to be really strong and reliable, and I understand that the Crown Wheel is Riveted to the Carrier, and not simply bolted as in all other diffs.

Firstly, I would be pulling it down to see exactly what has gone wrong, and hopefully it is only bearings.

If the Crown Wheel and or Pinion is shot, then I would be looking around for a complete replacement.   One that is used, but in good condition.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   Sorry for the bad news, and hopefully a Member will be able to assist better than I.

Doug Houston

Ill amplify on Bruces post. The entire differential and carrier assembly (affectionately known as the pig) was serviced by Cadillac as a total replacement unit. That never changed until 1970, as I recall. It was a factory assembled and calibrated unit.

Ive heard that there is someone who actually can service these units; I dont know who he/she is.

Best you should get a good pig out of a salvage axle, and let it go at that. Just check the ratio to be sure its the same as you now have (Probably a 3.36:1). Its easier, cheaper, and within reason.

Thomas Bredahl

Hi Bruce and Doug.

Thank you for replying.
As I thought, it might be hard getting a replacement, or as you both state it is not an off the shelf part.
I might be best off trying to get one from a Swedish supplier of used parts, but eventually the US is where to get it right?

I am leaving for California in 10 days and will stop by Ed Cholakian at All Cads..... will ask him about the seals and bearings.

I am planning on taking the unit apart this coming fall/winter and that will show what parts I will need. Will take it from there I guess :-)

Thomas

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Thomas,

If it was as bad as you described in the first place, I would be opening it up, just to see what was wrong.

It wont take much to see if it is still okay to use.   Just draining out the oil will give you an idea just how much metal is floating around in there by the colour of it  

But, first get under the car and grab the tailshaft at the diff end and give it a waggle up and down to see if there is any play in the Pinion races.   If there is a lot, then I would be guaranteeing that you are going to be looking for a replacement Pumpkin and be done with it.

But, it would be too heavy to take back on the plane with you as Cabin Luggage.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Jack Carroll #18687

Tom, I got bearings for my 39 LaSalle from
     Olcar Bearings Co.
      George Bachleda
      135 James Creek Rd.
      Southern Pines, NC 28387
      910-693-3324
      His prices are good and so is his service. I got my
      parts in a few days. He is also very knowledgeable.

Good Luck
      Jack Carroll

Jeff Maltby #4194

Gnite Thomas.

Just off the tele with Oclar Bearing. George has all the bearings for your 49 pumpkin-$340. He also stocks axle and front wheel bearings. Id suggest you purchase new u-joints while here also.

I have a loose 49 pumpkin and new pinion seal here if you can get it back home ? Only Weights 80 lbs :<)

You can have a look when we meet in mid July.

Thanks for the bearing tip Jack.

Jeffo Clc 85-06

Thomas Bredahl

Thanks to all for the valuable info, especially the bearing source.

Bruce - youre right about the easiest thing, initially, will be draining the oil to check for metal filings.
I will do that when I return home from the US.
And you are right....... I am not strong enough to call an 80 lbs part a carry-on. LOL

Jeffo ;-) thanks for inquiring(spelling?) about the bearings for me, will have to shop and have them shipped home.
Im so looking forward to meeting up with you and seeing your beautiful black fastback.
Lets see.....hmmm, can I have that pumpkin in a handbag? :-)

Jeff Maltby #4194

Gday Thomas. You can have the pumpkin if you can get it back home ? Let me know about other items you need for the 49-new brake rubber hoses etc etc . I can have it all here waiting for you.

Jeffo ~:<)

Thomas Bredahl

Thats a very generous offer Jeff. Not sure if I can bring it back home with me, but Ill sure try.
Im thinking about bying some wheelcovers and sending them from a US post office...... suppose I can do the same with the pumpkin?
As far as other needs go.... Ill have to give it some thought and get back to you.

Am still sad that Im missing the GN !
Take some good pictures for me ;-)