News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Cad - oil cooler?

Started by Alan E. Feltham, June 20, 2006, 12:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan E. Feltham

In a continuous attempt to reduce flathead heat, has anyone ever used an external engine oil cooler (radiator type)? If so, where in-line would it be installed ? (teeing off where external oil filters go seems a possibility, but that is drain, I think, not pressure). They do work.

Doug Houston

There could be little doubt that SOMEONE has done this some time in the past. In order to make the cooler worth while, it would be desirable or even nececcary to cool the entire flow of oil in the engine. The only way that seems logical to do this is to put the cooler between the oil pump output and the oil gallery that it feeds. That aint easy.

In terms of oil return to the pump, its thrown around all over the crank case, and there is no way to funnel it into the pump.

I do  have a prototype engine on one of my 41s that has a specially cast block with a takeoff for a full flow oil filter. But understand: IT WAS SPECXIALLY CAST.

Any of us will agree that it would be nice to cool this engine  better, but Its futile to go re-engineering it, when it just isnt practical beyond the normal conditions of operation.

Paul Ayres #5640

Alan - There is a way to do this.  I am rebuilding my 1940 engine at present, and have installed a plug in the vertical oil passage at the rear of the block.  I will take the oil out of the block via a fitting in place of the plug on the bottom of the block (requires a bit of a notch in the flange of the oil pan) and route it through a full-flow oil filter, then run it back into the horizontal oil passage via a fitting in place of the plug at the front of the block.  I drilled and tapped the vertical passage for a 5/8-18 thread set screw which will act as a plug in the passage.  The 5/8-18 tap will thread through the 3/8-18 pipe threads for the old pipe plug, and thread the passage for the added plug.  All this assumes the block is out of the car for rebuild, so that the oil passages do not get full of chips in the process. It would be easy to add an oil cooler in the line to or from the full-flow filter.