News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help w/a 47 coil.

Started by Bob 13906, June 20, 2006, 11:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob 13906

How do I disconnect the coil in my 47? I have the wires off but, I cannot get the other end (where the large wire through the fire wall is attached to the coil). It appeares to be some sort of cap that might pry off. Ive tried gently,and it wont come loose. Thanks for the help.Bob

Rhino 21150

According to the 38 manual, which should apply to your coil as well: Run special tool J-726 (looks like a knife blade to me) between the cap and the coil to loosen it. Is your coil upside down? Thats to keep water out of the top (bottom). Anyway, they are talking about the base of the coil which has a metal cap. When its loose, gently pull the coil out and unplug the wire thats in there. The ignition wire is armored to limit theft attempts. But there arent any punks who know this so you might not need to re-install the armor assembly. BTW: to hot wire this car, roll under the dash and put a jumper (heavy) from the hot side of the ignition switch to either side of the ammeter. Everything should work, including the starter. Dont raise the hood, its too conspicuous. Yeah, I know a couple of car thieves.

baxter culver #17184

I unlocked my cap with a piece of stainless (very thin) which I worked under the cap and around the perimeter.  There is a locking detent and two lugs that hold the cap to the coil.  Once you get the thin stainless over the detent, the coil must be rotated (I think clockwise) a few degrees to free the lugs from the cap.  Compress the cap a bit while you turn it.  Then you can remove the coil from the cap.  I removed the whole assembly (coil, cap, armored cable and key/switch) from the car and did it on the bench--made the job much easier and I was then able to replace the ignition wire that runs thru the armored cable.  It was starting to lose insulation so that was a timely decision.

Frank DeCou clc#12231

A hack saw blade works well when inserted in the gap between the cap and coil body.