News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

63 Hydromatic Transmission

Started by David CLC 14765, June 23, 2006, 03:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David CLC 14765

The transmission in my 63 CDV seeps fluid around the oring seals on the shift linkage and TV rod shafts. The Spacer washers have been left off from previous transmission work through the years also. I ordered the parts to repair the leak and would like to get them installed.

If I understand correctly the shop manual indicates it is necessary to first remove the throttle body from the transmission to gain access to the clamp bolts on the inner levers on the linkage shafts. Is it absolutely necessary to remove the throttle body to do this repair? I really hate to disturb too much from a good operating unit to fix a pesky leak. On top of that, Ive not gone much deeper than changing the filter and fluid on an automatic, which makes me a little nervous to remove larger parts.

Thanks for any insight.

David

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday David,

I am afraid that if the Workshop Manual tells you to do something in order to do something else, then I am afraid that unless someone else comes up with another way, then you really should follow the Instructions to the letter.

It is surprising that when you follow these instructions, it will be easier than you think by the time you get finished.   Then you will think back on how easy it was, and you will have accomplished something yourself.

These books arent written solely for Mechanics to use as large coasters.

Have fun, but dont forget the jack stands.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV