News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 Eldo in 60s Warren Beatty movie ??

Started by Quentin Hall Australia, June 24, 2006, 02:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall Australia

A few years ago I awoke to find I had been sleeping with the TV on. The early morning movie had a 53 Eldo being driven by, I am certain, a young Warren Beatty somewhere in Calif. It featured quite extensively in the latter part of the film and now that I own a 53 Eldo I have since wondered what the movie was called.

Craig Hancock

Was that the one where the 53 Eldo owner was a cheap shirker, and wouldnt pay his bills? His wife left him, his life was a mess and ended up living in a caravan? And in the end he realised money and material things were not going to sustain him as much as his friends?

Quentin Hall Australia

gday Craig,
           It is funny how art imitates life aint it ?
           I have a friend (or rather I had a friend) who always took the moral highground and who bullied people into submission using the law as a weapon but worse he hid behind facades to undermine people . He too found himself in a simiar situation to the Warren Beattie movie character.
           I wish we could remember the name of the movie?
           I havent seen you on the forum before. Are you new to this site? Where did you see the movie???
            Regards Quentin.

Craing Hancock

Hello Quentin, I am pretty sure it was Warren Beattie in the movie too and I remember it was an early Eldorado or Cadillac convertible. Ill try to look up some movie databases and let you know if I find the movie. Can you give me more information on other people in the movie. I see you are down under. I always wanted to go there some day. I love the Crocodile hunter. I dont own a cadillac yet, but just found this website and hope to own one of those great cars some day. I am in Illinois. Craig.

Quentin Hall Australia

Gday again Craig,
                   I replied to your post earlier but it is funny, the plot of the movie just came flooding back and I was surprised to find myself taking a completely different take from yours. . .  
                   You see the way I see it; the Warren B character was a fairminded hardworking kind of character. He had worked for the money he had recently come into.

The crux was and most importantly, he did not commit a crime. Sure he had leaned on the railing but certainly he had no intention for it to fall. How was he to know that the foundations were week. He had only acted as any reasonable person would have given the circumstances.
                   I cant remember the overbearing characters name but Ernest Borgnine comes to mind; he, acted unpredictably and selfishly by orchestrating that whole Submit to my demands in 24 hrs or else scenario . Thereby putting Warren to task to accept some kind of guilt as punishment. Remember Warren had always gone out of his way to help Borgnine get out of all the dramas which constantly beset him due to Borgnines overbearing ways.

The giveaway was though, as we latter learned that the Borgnine character had used this intimidating tactic frequently and to great effect on other lesser unsuspecting individuals, to feather his already considerable nest. Remember the $3000 he got off the old man.
                     To my mind it was never about Warrens money. Afterall , unlike Borgnine he is not really obsessed with building monuments to his own success. It was the judicial stand taken by the Borgnine character. Borgnines pay up or else Ill put on the squeeze and youll feel my wrath that set the hairs on the back of my neck upright.
                    Although the ending was left for one to interpret for themselves, Im sure that Warrens wife supported her husbands stand (despite being initially terrified and willing to submit for fear of Borgnines retribution).
                     I was left with the impression that it was Borgnine who would someday rue his actions. Afterall he was the one with all the worthless material possessions. Remember he even said he wished he had put down the horse as it had cost him so much already. Was the horse a metaphore?
                     For me the final scene, Warrens white 53 Eldo driving off into the sunset represents vindication for not giving in to an overbearing bully.  

It really is a great movie. I just wish we could remember the name of it.
                     Regards Quentin

Craig Hancock