News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Windshield Types and Interchangeability

Started by Ralph Williams, June 24, 2006, 02:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Williams

Can anyone tell me whether there is a difference between the windshields in the various 1959 models?

Specifically, will a coupe/convertible windshield fit a 4-door sedan, six window?

Also, if anyone knows the correct PPG windshield number for 4-door sedan, six window, that would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Ralph
55 60S
59 SDV

Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472

I forgot to put my CLC number in my first post--its 18472.

Thanks again.

Ralph
55 60S
59 SDV

Fred Garfield 22310

From my Cadillac Master Parts List for 1959 --

59-6029,6229,6329 -- part# 477 6767 (EZ Eye) / part# 477 6766 (clear)

59-62 (except 6229, 6329) -- part# 477 6769 (EZ Eye) / part # 477 6768

Hope this helps!

Thanks Fred.  

What I think that means is the six window sedans (Fleetwood 60 Special, Sedan DeVille, Six Window, and Series 62 Sedan, Six Window) had different windshields than all the rest.

Does anyone out there have firsthand knowledge or experience with this?

Ralph
55 60S
59 SDV

Warren Rauch

The Hollander interchange for 1959-60 six window and 60s is #1949.They say this is industy pattern W569.they also say their #1918 &2087 will work . 1918 is pattern W567 some models 59-60 BUick&Olds,and some models 59 Chev& Pontiac. #2087 is Pattern#W586  some models 60 Chev &Pontiac. I dont have a clue as to the differences in these windshields. The exact models would take a few minutes to track. If you need them. Warren

Fred Garfield 22310

>>What I think that means is the six window sedans (Fleetwood 60 Special, Sedan DeVille, Six Window, and Series 62 Sedan, Six Window) had different windshields than all the rest.<<

That can be confirmed by looking at pg. 32 of 2005 CLC
  Directory.

Glad Warren had data from the Hollanders. After a month, Im still waiting for mine to arrive.

Have you done a forum search using key word windshield? I know this subject has come up in the past.  

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Part of this is from my post of several months ago on this subject. As a person who has experienced a windshield replacement on my 59 I have some very strong opinions. I wish this forum had existed when I did my 59, and I had asked the same question as you! I would have saved myself a lot of grief.

One of the 59 windshields is a little (inch of two shorter) where the windshield meets the front pillar and, if I recall correctly and is not as tall.  But, what a difference an inch here and there can make!!

Are you going to install the windshield yourself or have someone install it for you? This windshield Does NOT interchange with all other 59 Cadillacs, let alone other 59 GM cars!!! Make sure that you get the RIGHT windshield. The windshields might look like they are interchangeable, but they are not!! I purchase a lot of parts for my cars on Ebay, however this is one item that I would not ever consider purchasing on Ebay!! My advise would be to contact a supplier and let them tell you what windshield to install and have an agreement that you can return it to them in the event it is not the right windshield.

If you are going to have someone else install the windshield let them order the windshield!!!! If they order the wrong windshield then it is THEIR problem. If the windshield comes in broken, it is their problem. You may think that you are saving money but you are probably doing nothing but causing yourself a lot of grief.

Warren Rausch has already given you the Hollander information, and I assume that he is correct.

Thanks for all the great help!

I originally asked the question because I was considering bidding on an eBay windshield with a 568 number on it.  I was considering this for use as a spare.  My windshield is fine right now.  But you never can tell when a stray rock may ruin your day...

Fred--Great summary of the part numbers from the book.  I actually have a parts manual, but wasnt sure whether I was reading it right.  

Bill--After I posted my original message, I did indeed do a search of previous posts and found your earlier exchange.  Lots of great advice!

Warren--You confirmed I need # 569 for my six window.  Number 568 must be for all the others (coupe, four window, and convertible).  Also, based on your post, I just ordered a set of Hollander manuals.  Sounds like theyll come in handy.

Once again, I really appreciate the help.

Ralph
55 60S
59 SDV

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

I always thought that General Motors made Three sizes of windscreens for the 59 and 60s, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac.

There was the Screens for all the 4 door Sedans. (All Brands), apart from the Flat-tops.
The ones for the Coupes and Convertibles, (all brands)
The ones for the Eldorado Broughams (Cadillacs only)

Plus, the ones for the Commercial Chassis, but they may not have been made by Cadillac.

Bruce,

The Tassie Devil(le),

60 CDV