Author Topic: 71 Eldo exhaust flapper valve  (Read 1197 times)

Kelly Watson

71 Eldo exhaust flapper valve
« on: June 24, 2006, 10:19:43 PM »
I hope you guys know what Im talking about with that title ;-)

Im down around 50percent in power on my 71 Eldo, the exhaust is definitely constricted up around the engine. Ive been told there is a valve inside one of the exhaust manifolds that is supposed to open as the engine heats up to allow for quicker heating. Problem is it appears that the valve is jammed closed. All i want to know is, which side is the valve on, and is there an easy way to unbolt the exhaust from the manifold, because Ive been struggling with the 35 year old bolts for an hour. Hope for replies soon :-)

Kelly

JIM CLC # 15000

Re: 71 Eldo exhaust flapper valve
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 12:42:20 AM »
06-24-06
Kelly, You will sometimes hear someone call it a heat-riseror heat riser valve. It is located  between the exhaust pipe and exhaust manifold. Hope you have plenty of PB Blaster. Apply to nuts/bolts, Wait 24 hours, apply again, wait another 24 hours, apply again and SLOWLY try to remove nuts/bolts. No Luck, repeat instructions above. Believe me, you dont want to break a bolt here or it means pulling the exhaust manifold.
Another WAG, use a BFH and see if you can break loose the forzen
Valve. You may have to pull your carb and remove the carbon build-up.
Good Luck, JIM

Greg 18360

Re: 71 Eldo exhaust flapper valve
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 09:45:57 AM »
My 71 DeVille did not have one, are you sure the Eldorado has one. I dont have the shop manual any more.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

All Cads