News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Advice regarding 67/68 traits

Started by Archie Calise, June 25, 2006, 04:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Calise

Guys,
Please weigh in on the pros and cons of the 67 and 68 model years.  Any owners out there with insight into these?  Much appreciated.
acalise@cox.net

Michael Stamps 19507

The 68 has a much better engine.  Some like the 67 dash better.  I prefer the straight grill/hood line of the 67.

Stampie

Geoff Newcombe #4719

The 472 cu. inch engine that was introduced in the 1968 model year and the 500 that grew out of it for the Eldo were (IMHO) two of Cadillacs finest of all time, certainly modern times.  But do not ignore or turn down a 67 just because it has the 429, it was a fine engine also.  Aside from the engine the 67 and 68 were like the 65 and 66, basically the same car with some minor styling changes.      

Dale

I have had a number of Cadillacs from the 1960s. I do prefer the 472 over the 429, mainly because I know its bulletproof. The 68 also drives really well thanks to the extra output of the 472. I also prefer the 68 interior trim over the 67. The buttons on the door trims in 67 dont do it for me, but thats getting pretty damn picky!

More generally, it is my belief that the older they are, the better they look. The more they move on towards the late 1960s, the better they drive. And therein lies the trade-off. There are some exceptions, and in my experience the 64 Cadillac when optioned/fitted with Turbo 400 transmissions was a damn fine thing to drive. The Coupe DeVille I had really got up and moved along performing more like a big block Chev than a Cadillac. It was just the relatively cramped interior that was not suited to me (at 66).

After having s string of Caddies, I personally settled on a 68 convertible. I think that by then they drove really well, and were a really well sorted out machine. I reckon the older ones from the late 1950s and early 1960s LOOK better for sure, but for me it was question of what drove nice, and most importantly what I could afford. I havent regretted my choice at all.

But hey... its a personal thing, and there a millions of arguments to be made for all of them. And thats good, because theyre ALL good!

Archie

As usual you guys are spot on.  The comments are confiming my own impressions, and I just have to decide how much money Id be willing to pay for the car under consideration.  And by the way, Im with you on the door panel button thing....  
Thanks,

Chris Short CLC 18814

Hi,
   Ive got 9 Cadillacs ranging from the 50s to the 90s and my 68 DeVille convertable is my favorite.  It drives so nice, and the 472 is very powerfull.  And I personaly think that 68 was one of the best years of the verticle headlight cars.  The grill is more defined, and the interior with the rosewood door panels are nice.  Also the craftsmanship is really good.  You could take a ruler to the gaps around the doors, hood, and trunk.  Everything lines up nice.  The doors click shut very easily like a cadillac should.  And the styling lines that 60s cadillacs have are hard to beat.  But it doesnt really matter what year Cadillac you get.  Its hard to beat a caddy in any year 1903-2006.  Just my opinion.

Chris Short