News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

81 eldo power steering

Started by Joel, June 26, 2006, 06:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel

Can someone please give me some advice on bleeding the power steering pump on an 81 eldorado.  I have replaced the pump and all of the lines, put the car on jackstands, and tried turning the wheel all the way one way and all the way the other way for several minuets but I still have no power steering. The fluid in the resivour becomes somewhat frothy so i think i may be getting some air out but i really dont know.  Any advice would be very much appriciated. thanks

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Joel,

You have to have the engine running.   Sorry, couldnt resist.

The bubbling also means that there is still air in the system, and that the fluid level is low.

You have to rotate the steering wheel full lock to full lock to bleed it.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

Joel

I have started the engine and the fluid level is not low. How many times do you have to turn the wheel before the air bleeds out? I have turned the wheel all the way both directions for several minutes and nothing. Some fluid did seem to come out of the cap. I think it was just overfilled but this is extremely frusterating. Lots of time and money invested and i cant drive it because of this one problem with the power steering. I dont want to  have to tow it to a shop over someting this trivial but i may have no other choice. Thanks for the advice.

Joel

The pump and the lines also get very hot very quickly when i turn the wheel is this normal?

Denise 20352

When I did the engine on my Chrysler...I knew I was going to forget something, but at least it was forgetting to put the power steering fluid in, and not a rod cap or something serious.

I figured it out very quickly, ran to get the fluid and pour it in, and it took forever to get it bled.  The fluid was frothing, so I had to stop and let it cool down and try again later.  I had pretty decent power steering after about the first 15-30 minutes of driving, and after about three days of driving, it finally quit growling.

-denise

Cary Bilich

Joel; ok ill bite have ben a master cetifed mecanic since 1978 worked in gm dealers !977-81 Whair i was a frt end mecanic. I think your are probebly leaving out a inportand "CLUE"  car has hydo-bosst brakes correct (is or was a deisel) ????????/