News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Coupe A/C switch hissing at me plus radio question.

Started by Jerry III, July 20, 2006, 09:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry III

When Car is running, heater works FINE... switches from floor to defog and all blower speed settings work great.   BUT on the A/C side when the switch is set to OFF there is a hissing type sound coming from under the dash.  When you set it to "cooler" you can hear the compressor pop on but no air comes through the vents!  only at the floor like heat...

The guy who restored the car put all new ducts under the dash.

By the way the air is not cold that is coming from under there.

How do I get the air to blow through the vents?  Maybe the hissing sound near the switch is a hint??  also i checked the two little vaccum units behind the breather and they SEEM to be getting little or no vaccuum when i tested with the air "on"

Jerry III

The car has the original wonderbar radio.  Before the car was restored by a local shop, the radio played.  Now it wont.  Here are the details:

When you turn the radio on the little orange light comes on and you can hear the speaker make that quick single poof sound like its supposed to so I know the radio AND the speakers are getting power.  The wonderbar works, the power antenna works and the radio is hooked up to the antenna.  Fuses checked good.

But no sound. Whatsoever.

Even when you turn it all the way up.  Not even a crackle or static.  

What could it be?

Jerry III

the speakers look like the original type and are not dryed out and decayed i can move the cone with my fingers they feel really nice as if the resto shop had the original 10 ohm (or whatever) speakers reconed.  They are definetely not modern 4 ohm speakers.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Jerry III,

I wonder if they plugged the radio into the A/C, and the A/C into the Radio.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   Sorry, couldnt resist.

Doug 22747

Bruce - you are BAD.

Jerry - you appear to have a leak at the switch.  Sometimes those small hoses split and things dont operate as they should.  I remember this was the case with my Dads 64 one summer.  We were on a trip and the AC compressor quit operating (in Alabama in July).  He overrode the problem with a toggle switch, and I was required to get out of the car each time we stopped to cut the power.  When we got home, the Cad dealer snipped the end of a hose behind the glove compartment, and all was well.  

good luck Doug

Jerry III

thanks for the replies so far.. i will try to track down the source of the hissing and see if i can cut out the leaky hose ... but i need to find out about this radio  its quite an odd problem Ive never seen before (powering up but no sound)

Doug Houston

First, per bruce Reynolds, the effect would be that you could not hear hot jazz performances on the radio if the A/C and radio connections were crossed.  

Now, an inopertive radio could be caused by anything, regardless if the power transistor were drawing current or not.The "thump" at turn-on tells you that the transistor is drawing current; thats all. It doesnt even mean that the transistor will pass signal.

If the search tuner is stopping at several points on the dial, it means that the radio is receiving stations, but theyre getting lost between the detector and the audio channel. The set has several tubes, and one could be inoperative (burned out, etc.). There could be other things wrong, but this cant be determined in the car.  Didnt the guy who fixed the set, bench test it before you got it back?

Itll need to go back to a competent technician to get it going.

Ivan Zanatta

If you have a spare antenna around, plug it in the back of the set and extend it and hang it outside of the car.(Try to do this outside, not in a tin shed). It sounds like youve lost the signal from the antenna.