News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Greatrace.com

Started by T.L. (Ty) Stinson CLC #22330, June 27, 2006, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.L. (Ty) Stinson CLC #22330

I just recently heard about the annual Greatrace started back in 1908 because someone needed spare wheels for a 38 Cadillac convertible that were stolen in route from Florida to Baltimore. I had responded that I would be glad to lend him mine and then I reviewed the WEB pages for the current event. Wow, I could be hooked. Rather than spend a lot of money getting my car restored as a want-to-be trailer queen I would love to get in that race next year for the 100 year celebration. I noticed that there are only two Cadillacs in the race. Why? There is the car #18, 38 Cad and another I think is a 41. Just two in 100 cars. Well, besides a $5,500 per car entry fee and another +/- $5,000 for two weeks hotels, food, transportation back to the east coast its not hard to figure out why. But if I can get it together I would like to be there next year. So for me that means an engine overhaul (?) total brakes rebuilt, new exhaust system, glass and rubber and I guess that means a paint jobe too because mine is still in primer. Well, its still dream on time. Ha, ha. Check it out at Greatrace.com
Ty
CLC #22330
37 8519

Thom Wells #21841

We have just returned from the Great Race (see http://www.greatrace.com TARGET=_blank>www.greatrace.com   2006 Race- Car #18.

What a grand experience, driving a 38 Cadillac Convertible Sedan across America.  From Philadelphia to San Rafael, CA all on small back roads.

It was a trip of a lifetime, and we met so many wonderful people and shared so many great experiences along the way.  I will be posting an online journal in the next week, so I will keep you advised.

The V16 is now accompanied by our Convertible Sedan and our 7533 Sedan so our small collection is growing.  My hopes are to continue to collect, and I am so thrilled every day I walk in to my small office/warehouse and realize how fortunate I am.

We look forward to sharing pictures and thoughts.  It was incredible!

With Kindest Regards,

Thom and Ouarda

T.L. (Ty) stinson CLC #22330

Hello Thom: Congratulations to both of you for your wonderful experience. I doubt that I will make it to the next Greatrace but my offer will still be good next year as well. If you need to borrow two spares you can count on me for two original 6-lug wheels with "like new" 7:00 X 16 Denman tires and tubes. I will have them mounted/balanced and ready for your use. Cant sell them though because I will need them for my cars restoration.  It was fun watching your progress in the race. Good luck next year!

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Congratulations, Thom; I know that was a smooth ride in your big 75 convertible sedan. I enjoyed looking at the Great Race website and Ive got a question.  Each team shows a driver and a navigator. Does that mean that the designated driver must be behind the wheel at all times? BTW, my favorite race team name was that of the 1961 Imperial: Imperial Expeditionary Farce.