News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 Caddy Bell Housing

Started by Joe Bento #20081, June 28, 2006, 11:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bento #20081

Okay, here is the dilema:

The original block to my 40 series 72 was cracked.

The original bell housing, will not fit on the "new" block.  So I need to know if they can be fit together with some modification (and what that modification would be), or do I need to hunt for a new bell housing.

I apologize, but I am out of town, so I do not have the engine number to the original block with me, but it was the original engine on a 1940 Series 72 (7223 to be precise).

The "new" block number is 8418042.

I am hoping someone out there knows the difference between the two blocks as it pertains to mating the bell housing, and can help me bring these 2 together.

Many many thanks!

John #22631

Hi Joe,

Take a look at this site. http://www.transmissionadapters.com/index.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.transmissionadapters.com/index.htm

It appears that if they dont have it, they can make it for you.

I Googled transmission to engine adapters, and there is a lot of sites to benefit your needs.

HTH John

Harry Scott

The engine number you list is from a 46 62 series and was most likely mated to a hydramatic trans. If this is the case, the dowel pins are in a different location. There should be blank holes for relocating the dowel pins on the block. As memory serves me, I think that is all that is necessary. Good Luck.

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

Two different bell housings where used on the flatheads.  The change occurred in 1941 with the hyd. transmission.  The block bell housing bolt pattern changed some also at this time.  For the easiest fix you need to find a 41 or newer manual transmission bell housing.  This is not nearly as easy to find as the earlier one since more and more automatic transmissions were sold as the years progressed.  Another related change was the starter housing.  41 and newer are back compatible but 40 and older will not fit the 41 and newer block and bell housing.

joe bento #20081

The bolt pattern between block and bell housing appear to be the same, but the dowel and holes dont line up.  Can anything be done to marry these things up?  I am a little nervous about using an adapter, but if someone else has, let me know your thoughts.

When I got home, I looked up the original engine number, so for those of you keeping score at home:

Old engine number: 7320631
New engine number: 8418042

As far as the starter problem goes, I have not checked yet, but assuming I have a problem there, can anything be done (short of getting a new starter) to rectify this problem.

My bad for not checking the block number when I received this one from All Cads.  I knew this problem was out there, and specifically requested a 40 block to assure this wouldnt happen.  Always check the block number...

JIM CLC # 15000h

07-02-06
Joe, I put a 47 CADILLAC engine in my 38 La S. Had to cut off the "cast-iron" Web (with hach-saw) in order to install starter.
Joe, the dowels will come out.
Good Luck, JIM

Joe Bento#20081

Thanks Jim!

This is similar to what I had thought I heard before.  Thanks for the reminder and confirmation.

Sounds easy enough.  I will give it a go next Saturday (that is when I am scheduled to go out and work on it).

Feel free to keep any advice and suggestions coming until then.

Thanks!

Joe

Paul Ayres #5640

Joe - I ran into the same problem last year when I temporarily installed a 41 engine in my 40-72 while I rebuild the original.  I had to find a 41 to 48 bell housing.  It sounds like the engine you got was from a hydra-Matic car, in which case you will need to pull the Hydra-Matic dowels and install the standard shift dowels from your old block.  Cutting off the cast iron projection that is in the way of the old starter location will work, but it is a lot easier to find a newer bell housing.  You will need to adapt the clutch push-rod to the newer clutch throw-out fork, since the clutch linkage return spring arrangement is different in 41 and later as well.  You will need to add a return spring somewhere on the linkage to avoid the pedal and linkage constantly resting on the release bearing.

Joe Bento #2081

Ay carumba!

I dont have the original block, it is long gone.

The other mods sound like a pain in the butt.  If the folks over at AllCads had mentioned all this to me when I asked "Will it work?" I certainly would have waited for another block.

Anyone have a spare 41-48 Bell housing?

Joe