News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Pricing of a car

Started by Larry Savino, June 29, 2006, 08:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Savino

So this is a car I have been watching on e-bay, Its almost the twin of my car. I am not trying to be little this car in anyway . I am just wondering is this the current pricing on cars like this? I had always thought the value was a round 12 to 15 thousand, This one did not hit reserve at 17,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130000492546&rd=1&sspagename=STRK3AMEWA3AIT TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130000492546&rd=1&sspagename=STRK3AM

This is a photo of my car incase I havent shaired it with you guys.

Johnny #662

Quote from: Larry SavinoSo this is a car I have been watching on e-bay, Its almost the twin of my car. I am not trying to be little this car in anyway . I am just wondering is this the current pricing on cars like this? I had always thought the value was a round 12 to 15 thousand, This one did not hit reserve at 17,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130000492546&rd=1&sspagename=STRK3AMEWA3AIT TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&item=130000492546&rd=1&sspagename=STRK3AM

This is a photo of my car incase I havent shaired it with you guys.

Keep in mind, what a person is looking for to sell their car, and what they actually get, is usually different.  Too many times a seller will have a unrealistic sense of what their car will sell for.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Larry,

I concur with Johnny on this pricing thing.

The owner is wanting as much as he can get for it, and it all depends on who he has been listening to, or Auctions he has been watching.

Some people think they are sitting on a Gold Mine, and want enough to pay off the National Debt in one go, and others actually realise the true value.

But, when one has to sell, nobody wants to pay their price, and one wants to buy, nobody has one to sell.

In this case, the seller might be "trying the market", or the highest bidder might have been $1.00 under the Reserve, so it didnt sell.

It is also quite possible that the car might be sold to the highest bidder when the seller realises that the car isnt as sought-after as he or she thought.

Plus, it could even be a case where the seller has a buyer for it, but put it up for sale with an unreasonably high Reserve and is going to sell it to the buyer at the "Going Price".  But, used the Auction to find that "going price"

Yes, I an cynical, arent I, but there are lots of reasons why Reserves are so high.   But, the seller hasnt sold it.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

Bill Gauch

My opinion is that cars are worth what someone will pay for them. Obviously, this depends entirely on the audience. Of course, this is only true when you are considering selling your vehicle. It also has an inherent "value" to you. Many people get attached to their cars. This is especially true of someone who owns a car for a long period of time or rebuilds it from the ground up. Unfortunately, when people see the current trend for high auction prices of rare or unique vehicles when placed in front of a special audience, their percieved financial value equals or exceeds that price. What does this mean? Well, based on the eBay link you posted, there is a market for your car that may have been willing to follow through with the high bid that didnt meet the reserve. If you wanted to sell your car on eBay, you could possibly get that much money for it. If, however, you put a cardboard sign in the windshield in a rural town saying, "$20,000 OBO", you would likely get no takers. If you are keeping your car and just want to know what it is financially worth, then I would say $10k-$20k. If you are looking for a value for insurance purposes, I would set it at $20k, because you know its worth at least $17k in some markets and possibly more. If you are going to sell it on eBay and want to know where to set your reserve, I would shoot for your $12k-$15k.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

I agree with the above posts.  My opinion is that the seller is going to have to search far and wide to beat that $17,000+ figure and he may indeed have sold it after the auction to that high bidder.  Triple black isnt everyones idea of a good combination for a "sporty" car.  Nice car, but I feel that $17,000 figure is a somewhat "over the top", not to mention the reserve which I wouldnt be surprised was $20,000.  Theyre trying to prove to themselves and the car just how much they love it.

Johnny #662

I will give the seller for taking the time to make up a first class ad, it reads like a RR ad......am I the only one to notice the aftermarket wheels?

Larry Savino

Thanks Bill

I am not looking to sell my car ,although I dont use it as much as I should.

My daughter (now 11) insist I never sell it,as she claims its her wedding car.

A couple of years ago I was posting on this website with questions about a low mileage 76 Eldorados I was flying out to michigan to inspect and actually had to wright my daughter a promissory note that if I purchased the Eldo I would not sell the DeVille.

We recently had a visitor at the house and we were just talking about the cars and he jokingly told my wife to get an empty box for me to clean out my stuff as he was taking the car home with him. My daughter left the room. About twenty minutes later I went looking for her as we were going to use the caddy to go get some ice cream. I found her locked in her room tearing her room apart looking for her promissory note balling her eyes out.

So there is never a discussion about the sale of the car,I will have to wait till after her wedding  

I was just wondering if the prices of cadillacs were actually up now

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Nope, but it also says that the original wheels and hubcaps also come with it.

Fred Garfield 22310

Since nobody has yet pointed this out, I will.

A DEALER is selling this car.

Thats why the description refers to "our service department." Dealers prices are always going to be higher on ebay, like the dealer in Missouri whos been trying for a couple months to sell a cobbled-together 59 convertible for $82K.

You cant go by dealer prices or by single-case auctions. You have to look at dozens of private party auctions and adjust for differences in on-board options, etc. Then you can average out the market worth within a realistic range. If you are lucky enough to list your auction when very few similar cars are being offered, you have a better chance of getting the best price.

Dale

Someone asked if prices have gone up. From my perspective, yes they have.
I am in Australia, and have been buying Caddies from the USA for some years. It is my view that the internet (including Ebay) has seen prices rise. I feel its now the case that when selling a car on Ebay, it is the global price that is paid. That is, buyers from all over the world can now easily purchase a car from the USA and have it shipped to them. So unlike the past where a car sold in the USA was mostly only being looked at by American purchasers (plus only afew international people), there are now many many people overseas now in the game. Thus, the USA price will now be the highest price that anyone in the WORLD will pay, not just in America.
With respect to the $17,000 bidded on this particular car... yes that is high. But the vehicle does present well, and a car requiring nothing (or at least LOOKING like it needs nothing) will always attract a premium price from the market. I think that in the current market in the USA, something like 14-15k would have been about right for that particular car. Yes... its a lot of money for that car, and to much for me to be honest. But thats where I feel the market is at.