News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Painting a 37 Cad in two colors???

Started by T.L. (Ty) Stinson CLC #22330, June 29, 2006, 10:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.L. (Ty) Stinson CLC #22330

I know that generally there were no two-tone painted 1937 Cadillacs. But, I am still considering doing it with a four door sedan. I believe 36s and others may have had black fenders and some other color used for the body. If you have the time please look at the (new) Cadillac Database - Dream Cars on Cadillac & La Salle Chassis for the years 1937 - 1939. Specifically, please scroll down to the Franay (France) Towncar on series 75, V8 chassis. The 1938 Cadillac is black and yellow. For some reason I like the way it looks and I would consider doing my car this way if not in yellow perhaps in some other color. I have seen it done in red. What do you think of this two tone idea? I dont think painting the car this way would destroy its history but rather add to the fun of restoring the car while I have it. I know "Its your car -- do as you want." but what are your thoughts. Many thanks. Ty #22330

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

Hi Ty,

I actually like the idea, but I would say that the colors were a little less bright... well perhaps that is my taste.  I would suggest a sage green or moss green body and black or super dark green fenders and accents.  I think those really look good.  Or if you like red, a bright red body with maroon or burgundy fenders and accents.  Either way I do not think you would go wrong. I have seen Rolls Royces with a gold body and a dark bronze fenders.  There are all sorts of things you can do with that sort of thing.

I say, go for it!!  All it costs is time and money. :)  And if you get a lot of crap, you can always paint it black.  But who cares what others think?

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

As the second post notes, a softer two-tone would be better. There was a nice 38 75 sedan at the GN in maroon with black fenders. It was a little much. I have often thought that a medium dark green body with black fenders and vein (blood) red wheels and stripe would be sharp. There were several yellow and black cars listed in the 1940 section of the LaSalle book, but I think that body would be better than the 37, where there is not as good a place to separate the roof panel. Dont get the colors too close to one another, either. Like two shades of red. That starts to get confusing. Good luck.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Ty, Im not sure Id agree with the generally no two-toned 37 Cadillacs statement.  During that period, Cadillac would do almost anything a buyer wanted them to do on special order.  They didnt just offer a leather interior, they offered it three ways:
just the seats, all leather below the beltline, and everything in the interior including headliner in leather. They had several grades of leather and cloth from which to choose at extra cost. They would paint a car any previous Cadillac color for an extra charge.  They would paint the steering column a different color.They would put the owners monogram on the doors and on the optional lap robes (which were offered in several different qualities themselves). And in the La Salle book, theres one of the straight-eight La Salles (a 36 I think) painted red with black fenders. So, I dont think its a stretch at all to say they would (and probably did) paint Cadillacs and La Salles in two colors in 1937.

Doug Houston

Indeed, its your car. Maybe Franay or others did paint fenders on a 37 car in a 1934-style two tone. If you ike it, go ahead.

In those years, the styling guys had gotten away from two-toning cars, and didnt go back to it (in Cadillac) until 1939. The fender-body two tone ran out in about 1934. On those cars, it lookled O.K. to me, and still does, considering that I was around then and saw the cars getting more modern with fenders painted the same color as the body. To me, it looks like a trailer park restoration job. But if you like it, again, its yours. What about the guy who is looking to buy it some day, and your paint job kills the sale?  Its not a lot different than a pair of phoney sidemount spare tire covers. But, if it turns your crank, its your car.

To many, a car is old, only if it has contrastying color fenders, floor shift, and sidemounted spares.....oh yes, and wire wheels.

You may end up as the envy of your trailer park.

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

I have to agree with Doug. Those cars were NOT designed to be 2-tone. Also while were at it, the same goes for those ealy 30s lollypop mirrors that people stick on top of their side mount covers. They are totally dated & incorrect by that time, just like 2-tone paint. Bob

Craig Chally clc21190

Ty,

I think it would look fabulous.  Heck, were not talking hot pink with purple polka dots (right?).  Sounds to me like your idea would be a tasteful way of personalizing the car for ones own increased enjoyment while maintaining the dignity of the car.  As for resale, heck, how many of us buy a collector car with an eye on resale?  I was always under the misguided impression it was about the owners satisfaction.  Subsequent owners can do whatever pleases them.  And, a paint job is not hard to change if you feel the two-tone thing would be an impediment to sale in the future.

Sounds like youve got a great car.  Good luck and enjoy her as you want!

Craig

T.L. (Ty) Stinson CLC #22330

Thank you for your responses! I hope it will not stop here. There were thousands of these old 37s built and for whatever reason there seems to be very few of them around. When I go to some of the bigger car shows I might see one or two in a shade of green, brown, blood, or blue but most of these large Buicks and Cadillacs are there in Black. Black seems to be the most desired and perhaps gets them more often to the trailer-queen-status or in the museums. I plan to paint mine in "tweed" or rather solid authentic Cadillac Peruvian Grey with red wheels. Because the red in the Peruvian Grey reminds me of tweed and looks very sophisticated. I very much like solid black with grey or tan interior too but that seems reserved for the very best in my opinion. Now, to the point I wanted to make here. Some in my family think my choice of color is very dull. In fact, they are not interested in any solid color and suggest I paint it in an interesting combination. Those 30s had it right and they are beautiful! I agree that two-tone does not always work well for the 37. So, I am searching for examples of what has been done that looks good. I think the two-tone dark green with a dark red stripe would look awesome. My 1968 Camaro convertible was a very dark green (Sequoia) with a dark red stripe - yep, solid green. I have seen photos of a 37 Cad coupe in grey and blue (great job for that body). There is a sedan in blood and yellow - yep, and there is one in green and white. On the other hand there is one in pearl white used for weddings. There are extremes. For now, your responses have been in support of mild, conservative two-tone applications. I think with an appropriate break and alignment for color separation it should work well. Please let me know what YOU have done with the 37. Many, many thanks. Ty  

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Dear Ty, Doug let you off easy. Back when I had a 1938 Series 60 coupe, I was thinking of painting it in an olive green body, with black fenders and orange wheels. He said he had a pair of 1949 Plymouth bumpers he would send me for the car....The ones with ridges in them.

The color scheme I proposed can be seen in the 1930-1931 LaSalle section of the LaSalle book. Dark green body, black fenders, and red striping.

And dont get too concerned about Doug until he sends you (collect, probably) a set of cement blocks to set your car on in your front yard.

He is correct in that you should spend lots of time thinking about this. There is a hot rod 37 Chevie on my way to town that is painted black with the window inserts, or surrounds painted bright blue. It is pretty bad even for a hot rod.

Rhino 21150

Lets all just pile on! I have been a fan of two tones for personal reasons all my life. I like them, period. My 38 5019 will need repainting in about five years at which point I will do the main part in a burgundy that is several shades lighter than now and the fenders several shades darker. I understand that my engine bay vent panes should be body color, but they are glossy black. I like that just fine too!
As I have said before: I dont care what my ESTATE gets for the car. They can do what they want after they pry my cold dead fingers off the wheel!