News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1934 Cadillac

Started by Augusto, July 01, 2006, 10:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augusto

Hello,

I am repairing a 1934 Cadillac generator. I found out that the generator coupling consists in some small tiny pieces of metal that were broken during the removal.
Do you know how this coupling works?  I tried to remove the rest of the small pieces, but they are attached firmly in the housing.

Thanks

Warren Rauch

What do you mean by coupling? Do you mean comutator? The one end of the armature that is made of copper.  The broken pieces of metal,are they the melted pieces of soder that were between those copper bars?Warren

Augusto

I mean the device that makes the generator work. The generator is chain driven (it´s a V8 engine) via a small gear. There are small pieces of metal (sort of blades) that engage from the gear to the generator shaft to avoid shaking.

I removed the generator and I found that blades broken (the generator was not working because there was not transmission from this gear). The blades are broken, and I think I must remove the water pump to solve the problem.

Wayne Womble 12210

Yes, If you remove the pump and the gear assembly. You will see the coupling goes both ways and drives both the gen and the pump. If I remember correctly there is a pin through the stack. I dont know the availability, but I have made them from flat spring stock.