News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 hood emblem...

Started by Jeff Gibson #22264, July 02, 2006, 10:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gibson #22264

the hood emblem on my 56 seems to be in 3 pieces....the gold trim around the emblem....the actual emblem itself, and a "plastic" cover shield piece to cover the colored emblem....

I have a new emblem and the gold ring is good....I am in search of the plastic cover that goes over the emblem itself....any info that anyone could pass along would be appreciated... Thanks all....Jeff

John Washburn

Jeff,

I just checked a few of my spare (old hood emblems) and they are two (2) parts. The gold piece and then the second part is the plastic insert.

I can look up the parts numbers, but when I replaced my insert (15 years or so ago) it was one piece.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Jeff Gibson #22264

Well maybe the "colored" piece already has a plastic covering..??   I know the Gold outer trim ring is one piece....the actual painted piece (crest)  is one and I thought there was a plasic covering over the painted piece..??
I am having no luck finding it....    Jeff

Jose Gomez CLC # 23082

Jeff,

Jeff,

I have the same issue as your, mine has both tip-ends broke and MIA. I did extensive research and have yet to find a place/person that would have these items. Yes, I found one in eBay and it looked in so-so shape.

After exhausting research I decide it to tackle the task of making one. I decided to make a mold of my original piece (since it has a slight bent this was tricky) using RTB rubber, I then glue the missing tips extending the art work onto the new tips (also tricky). The mold came in really good shape. I made a piece (not using clear plastic) and it was “ok” (not 100percent but real close) the art work from the original “Marlette’s/Swans” (depending on interpretations), the horizontal bars (white and blue strips) were imprinted on the reproduction.

Now I’m at stand-still searching for a vacuum pump as the clear plastic resin requires 29” of vacuum to properly degauss after mixing the products.

If you like additional data/info I bought both the RTB and the clear plastic resins from Aluminate their web site (http://www.alumilite.com) also has step-by-step in using in mold making and how to use their products.

Regards,