News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1928 Felt Oil & Dust Seals

Started by Ken Andersen # 21420, July 03, 2006, 09:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Andersen # 21420

Can anyone assist in the order in which the Felt oil & dust seals fit on the axle. Need orientation as well. (Which way do the fit, felt facing inwards or outwards.) Need info for both front & rear axles.

Ken Andersen # 21420

Ken Andersen #21420

Need help with the felt oil seals and their placement & orientation.

Ken Andersen #21420

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Ken,

Sorry I cant help much, apart from bringing it back to the top.

But, have you tried the Industrial or Mining Suppliers?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Ken Andersen # 21420

Hi Bruce, thanks for the reply.
I have already managed to obtain the replecement felt seals cut to size locally in Sydney.  I am not sure however, as to where the go on the axles, or their orientation.  I know that a larger one & smaller one fit onto the rear axle and a smaller on still onto the front axle.  The two larger ones for the rear axle I would think fit a. Larger one - diff side of the inner bearing with the felt facing inwards away from the diff, and b. Smaller one - outside of the outer bearing facing inwards towards the diff.   As the axle is a fully floating axle, and if the seals were oriented as mentioned above, this would then keep the oil in rather than let it seep out of the axle.  Does this make sense? Would this be right in theory?? Check your email as I have sent you a photo of the items in question.
Look forward to your reply.
Regards
Ken

Wayne #17075

Kem, I took my old seal to my local auto supply shop and got modern seals for the rear axel. Works great and I dont have to worry about them drying out and leaking.
Wayne

Ken Andersen # 21420

Hi Wayne
Many thanks for your response. As previously mentioned, I have already sourced replacement felt seals.  As these were already pulled from the wheels when I purchased the vehicle, and as the workshop manual does not clearly illustrate it, I am not sure of where these seals go.  I have basically figured out that there are 2 seals on each of the rear wheels. One larger one goes on the inside outer of the wheel the other somewhere on the axle side inner. There is 1 seal per front wheel, on the outside stub axle side.  (I think)  Is this positioning correct????
I am restoring my car back to factory original, and if done correctly, the seals should be as good as the neoprene ones that you can get today.