News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954 Engine Block

Started by JBahari, July 07, 2006, 05:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBahari

I have a 1954 series 62 Cadillac. I bought a 1955 engine block; however, the rear of these two blocks are different. The 1954 block has a cast bellhousing at the rear while the 1955 block does not. Some of the expert people told me the 54 and 55 blocks should be the same. I think, they both are 331.

Should I buy a bellhousing to join the 1954 hydramatic transmission to the 1955 block, or I should buy a 1955 transmission.

I should mention that my 1954 transmission does not have the Park position. The R position works as P when the engine is off.

Thank you for your suggestions.

John Washburn

Jbahari,

I checked my Interchange manual on Cadillac engines.

It shows the 54 and 55 as different and not interchangabl. Both were 331, but I guess the big changes came in 55 with the Bell Housing and distributor.

51 thru 53 will swap, except the ones with the Buick Transmissions, as will 56 thru 65 even though the engine dispacement went from 365 to 390.

Sorry, hope this helps.

John Washburn
CLC #1067

JBahari

Thank you John.

Do you know the part number of the 55 bellhousing?