News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Cadillac

Started by Jerry Bell, July 07, 2006, 08:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Bell

Could someone tell me what kind of transmission oil to use for a 1949 Cadillac? ( automatic )...Thank you, Jerry Bell

Paul Flykt CLC # 18899

Modern Dexron transmission fluid will work. It is backwards compatible, meaning IV replaced III that replaced II etc.
I could open a can of worms here and suggest type F. Some older transmission mechanics feel the new Dexron fluids are too slippery for the clutches and recommend F because they feel it is more like the the original type A.
There was a very comprehnsive Dexron vs F discussion a year or 2 ago on this forum. Some members opting for either type apparently without any problems because of their choice. Personally I use F in my 57 CdV on the advice of the older mechanic that did the overhaul and have had no problems. I use Dexron in my 62 sedan because that was what the prior owner used.

John Morris

Ford trannys ran hotter and used type F. The 49 Hydramatic had no cooler so type F might be prefered??