News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Decoding data plate

Started by Christian Millman, July 10, 2006, 02:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christian Millman

Hi all. I recently bought a 66 Eldo convertible and am hoping you can me with the data plate. It reads:

General Motors Corporation
ST 66-68467 FWD
242 Body
92-4 Paint
TR 471-
EM K

Also, the VIN is L6114815. I always thought the Eldo VINs started with E. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks very much for your help.

Christian

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Christian,

The data read as follows:

108 is 10B the month and week of assembly: 2nd week of Oct ‘65
ST 66-68467 FWD: year 1966, and model 69467: Eldorado Convertible.
242 Body: the 242nd Eldorado body produced which makes it an early car.
92-4 Paint:   92 is Crystal Firemist (Grayish metallic green);  4 is dark green top
TR 471: Dark green leather bench seat.
E= Soft Ray (Tinted glass)
M= Power door locks
K= Climate control

You’re correct that the VIN should read “E” not “L”.  You may want to check your reading again.

I had the same car, but with bucket seats…..Pretty car.
HTH,
Ralph

Christian Millman

Thanks very much Ralph. You were right, the VIN does start with an E. Oddly, the VIN on the door frame has a missprint. Ive never seen that before. It has the L that I mentioned and its even listed that way on the title. I had to check on the block and on the protect-o-plate for the correct VIN.

Christian