News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Sheet Metal Question

Started by Michael Kelley, July 11, 2006, 09:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Kelley

I have a 1960 Fleetwood with 90percent glossy original paint.  The car hasnt been in an accident or had body work yet when you look at the car from certain angles it appears that sheet metal panels have a very slight ripple or wave to them - was this the way the cars came off the assembly line?    Any information is appreciated.  Thanks.

Jerry

Glossy paint vs. original paint.  Not knowing how long you owned the car, its history, etc.  Likely it had body work performed on it at some point in its life.  If you look closely at the details of the car - is there paint on the rubber, chrome, overspray in the door panels, in the engine compartment or trunk.  Look at the body and vin tag - is there paint on these?  Is there evidence of more than one coat of paint?  These are some tell tale signs that the car was repainted.  Look closely at the paint itself preferably under neon or flourescent light - even plain street lights at night.  Bright sunshine will wash out the detail.  Do you see specks or dirt in the paint?  Are there "scratches" underneath and in the paint itself - not on top of the paint?  These are more signs that a car has been refinished.  

Many owners will swear that a car is original unrestored - never been painted. Either they dont know, dont want to know or they were misled when they purchased the car.  Had a new member at a club meeting last month who swore up and down his car was "all original paint and chrome".  I dont know if anyone broke the news to him....  

If you cant tell - ask a friend or a professional to take a look and see what he thinks.  Having a car that has been repainted is not a bad thing.  If the waviness of the panels bothers you - how much does it bother you? Is it worth the time and $$ expense $$ to get it fixed or can you enjoy your car in its current condition?  Many owners are perfectly satisfied with a nice #2 or #3 car and enjoy them for years of driving and showing.  Personally most people wont notice and will comment what a beautiful car that you have.  If you are intent on showing and being judged on a points basis then consider the cost and evaluate then what you want to do.  Good luck!  My suggestion is to enjoy the car - dont sweat the details.

Michael kelley

Hi, Thanks for the reply.  I bought the car last year from the original owner who purchased it in 1960.  By glossy I meant the paint still shines when polished.  Ive been told by a few mechanics and body shop people that cars from that vintage, especially with the longer body panels, they will have a slight wave in the panels - that the original finish isnt as perfect as a car would be today.  I was just curious.

Jerry

No problem.  Again, just because you bought from the original owner doesnt mean the paint is original.  He/she would have to be close to 70 or older at this point.  They could have forgotten or even the repairs could have been done without his knowledge.  

I recently appraised a couple cars for an owner that bought them new from the dealership.  I asked the owner when the one Vette had been repainted and he replied "never".  I then explain to the owner that it had been repainted and likely had been stolen off the lot based on some other repairs I noticed.  Prior to me showing him the proof, he would have sworn that the car was all original paint.  

Heck his car was equipped with a cruise control transducer and all the mechanicals under the hood but probably when it was stolen the dealership replaced the steering column without a cruise control switch.  So for the last 28 years he had cruise on his car; he never knew it and never was able to use it.  He doesnt show the car so it never came up before, the subject that his car was repainted.  It still is a nice, low mileage car.  He told me thanks and was going to see about getting a cruise switch installed so he could make use of the cruise control.

I stand by my statement that it is likely that the car had some body and paint work in the last 46 years.  Take a look and see what you find.

Tom Hall 7485

A certain amount of waviness is normal, depending on the panel.  Youre going to find authentic, factory-made ripples here and there, especially on rear quarter panels and at welded joints.  On the other hand, mounds tend to indicate fillers used to repair body damage.