News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

40 series 75 convertible coupe

Started by Robert Bothwell CLC #20850, July 13, 2006, 11:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Bothwell CLC #20850

Hi all !
 If anyone is interested, there is a very nice 1940 series 75 convertible coupe on E-bay (listed under 1940 Cadillac).
One of only 30 made (they say)
Its the first one Ive ever seen and it is really different from the smaller series convertibles - take a look.
  Yann might want to capture some of the pictures for his website.
 Bob B.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

A very fine, mostly original example of this body style was offered for sale in the Hershey car corral several years ago, but that one was black, while the one on e-Bay is burgundy.  Probably a different car.  These cars are even more impressive "in person" than in pictures -- a convertible coupe version of a limousine-size body.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Thats a beautiful car and Im surprised at how much has been bid on a 75. Its described as being built on the V-16 chassis, but fitted with the much more durable V-8 engine. While being more difficult for the average person to get running smoothly due to the dual carbs and dual and different distributors, Id say the 135 degree V-16 engine with its 9 main bearing crankshaft and much shorter stroke would beat the 3 main flathead V-8 hands down for durability and Im guessing the clubs late Sixteen experts would agree.
Whats your opinion on this,  committee members for the Class 8 Authenticity Manual?

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Nothing has been bid yet.  The seller established a starting bid of over $119,000, but no one has made that bid.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I didnt read that carefully and what made me think it had been bid to that amount and was not a starting bid was the odd figure, $119,890; not $120,000 or even $119,900. Maybe if I knew more about auctions I would understand the sellers reasoning, but it just seems strange to me.

Matt Harwood

Wow! Now thats a massive car! Whats the wheelbase on the 75? Is this coupe the same as the limousine?

Yet despite all that length, it still has only a pair of dinky jump seats in the back. Talk about poor space management!

Now wheres my checkbook...
--
Matt Harwood
Cleveland, OH
My 1941 Buick Century Restoration:
http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/index.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/index.html

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

The wheelbase of all 1938-1940 75 and 90 series cars is 141 1/2", down in the 452C, 452D and 90 series V-16 from 154" in 1934-1937. The four door cars have a large passenger compartment while the two-door cars have a large luggage compartment. It seems strange today that Cadillac would use jump seats only in a car that large, but they apparently knew the market as the 2 passenger closed coupes outsold the 5 passenger ones in both the 75 and 90 series in 38,39, and 40 during which period the convertible coupes came only as 2 passenger.

Mike Simmons (938)

Seems to me that, for $120K one might expect the correct year engine (looks like a 41 to me),as well as firewall grommets; reporcelainized exhaust manifolds etc. The interior appears to be nearly all original,but the interior windshield moldings seem weird. Looks almost like someone wood-grained the original wood?? Maybe this is all sourgrapes on my part, since I cant quite afford that sum.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I dont think thats sour grapes at all; for that price (or less) on a V-8 car, everything should be perfect. Apparently, prospective bidders felt the same way as I checked the listing a little earlier in the afternoon and no one had placed the minimum bid with 30 minutes left and its no longer listed.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

The 40-7567 is back on Ebay today with a lowered starting bid of $89,890.00 and now a "Buy Now" price of $135,900.00.

Doug Houston

Just for fun, how about posting the page reference. Itd save us a lot of searching.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I found it also in Old Car Trader for $10,000.00 more than the "Buy Now" price on Ebay.

David Weishaar

What is a car like this worth? The buy it now price seems high.
Thank you

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

The Mannheim Gold Book Classic Car value guide (June 2006)
shows Fair $39,000 Good $63,000 Excellent $88,000 and Show
$96,000.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

With 32 minutes left, no bids have been received on the 40-7567,
not surprising since the minimum bid is between Mannheim Golds excellent and show condition prices.