News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Divorce and Cadillacs

Started by Louis, July 13, 2006, 01:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

Marriage is coming to a conclusion, house must be sold, and with the sale, I loose two car garage, so depressed, cars were not the reason, but now I will be forced to sell.  Ebay, Cadillac buy sell, hemmings, suggestions for quickest and most poainless.

Louis

Jerry

Sorry to hear about your situation.  It is awful when a family (of Cadillacs) is broken apart due to divorce.  

First, do you REALLY have to sell them both?  In the past when I needed space I could find reasonable priced garages for rent by advertising through Sr. Citizen Centers, KofC, Elks, Moose Clubs and such.  Being creative I would find widows with an empty space or two in their garage and they would welcome an extra $30, $40, $50 a month.  Once I even rented a garage of a blind woman who lived alone but obviously didnt drive.  

If you absolutely do have to sell - each means of advertising has its good and bad points.  Familiarize yourself with the current scams - no matter what dont accept a money order for more than the sale amount and refund the difference (Nigerian scam).  

These days with scanners, color printers and such even money orders which previously seemed fairly safe are being counterfeited.  The best means of payment is cash (buy a marker at the office supply to check bills for counterfeit just like the stores) or bank transfer.  

I have had buyers try to give me third-party checks (NOPE) or personal checks (ALSO NEGATORY) and tell me that I can hold the title until the check clears.  This is a useless method because a scammer can change body tags, vin tags, etc.  

When you are advertising it be sure to take good photos including any damage, a couple views of the interior, a good shot of the engine and trunk, if a convertible photos with the top up and down, and so on.  

If you are going to be allowing test drives make sure that you dont just hand someone the keys and let them drive away with your Pride and Joy.  Go along on the test drive in the passenger seat (not the back seat).  

All in all, use common sense and protect yourself and your investment.  

PS - dont cancel your insurance until AFTER the car is absolutely sold.  And one more thing - each state has different rules for handling title transfer but you should always at least make a copy of the title and have the buyer complete his name, address, etc.  In my state you are still the legal owner until the buyer goes to the DMV and transfers it into his name.  So in the meantime if he is in an accident - they will be looking for the registered owner, you.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Louis, When the worst is over and youre feeling a little better, you might consider running this ad in the personals section:
WANTED: Good woman with Cadillac. Please send photo of Cadillac.

Jeff Pendleton CLC 22056

Louis, Please tell me what you are selling.

Jeff 816-309-5333

Jerry

Jeff,

By chance are you an attorney?