News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 Brougham Backfire & Brake Problem

Started by George Woodford clc21025, July 16, 2006, 01:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Woodford clc21025

I had the carburetor rebuilt on my 1978 Brougham a few months ago.  With the enclosed instructions for installation was the idle speed adjustment.  Since the car was idling about 900-1000 rpm after warm-up.  I adjusted the idle speed.  Note that no adjustment was made to the fuel mixture screws. I have a steady backfire problem with the car idling and while driving; the backfire is not very loud, and the drivability is somewhat degraded.  The car is idle fine, but when in gear a mild backfiring starts to occur.  While driving the car it backfire is slightly louder.  It is possible that I have not adjusted it correctly.  The service manual states to disconnect the parking brake hose at vacuum release cylinder and plug hose.  I was not able to locate it.  Where is this located?

Another issue I am having with the car is the brake light illuminates and remains on if I apply the brake pedal too far.  I have bled the brakes and replaced the fluid successfully.  I have no leaking on the disc brake calipers.  If I pump the brakes in park it will usually turn the brake light off.  Any suggestions to consider in resolving these problems?  

Craig Chally

George,

The parking brake cylinder referred to in the manual is under the dash on the drivers side, next to the kick panel.  You can see the vacuum cylinder above the e-brake pedal, with the vacuum line running out the top.  Thats what the manual wants you to d/c and plug.

As to the other problem, sounds like you have a leak in the brake system or the telltale system is faulty.  Does the car sem to have normal stopping power?

Craig

George Woodford clc21025

Thanks for your reply.  This evening I drove the car and the brake light telltale did not illuminate.  Braking with or without the telltale lamp illuminating appeared normal.  This brake problem seems to be intermittent.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

George,

When referring to the Brake Pedal Light, you are referring to the warning light in the dash that warns you when something is wromg?

If it is, then you will probably have to re-set the switch on the Master Cylinder if there is one there.   This ususally involves simply enscrewing the switch, removing it, then screwing it back in.

There is a plunger in this switch that releases when one of the resevoirs becomes empty, or one side loses pressure, and the sensing mechanism moves and allows the plunger to dislodge, thus operating the light.

Hope this makes sense.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV