News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

39 Lasalle carburetor idenification

Started by Jack Carroll #18687, July 17, 2006, 09:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Carroll #18687

I need help identifieing two carburetors I have.

The shop manual spec. is a Carter # MDO-423-S,however what I
have is.

#1. Carter #C-O [and under the C-O is] 6-121 [and on the center casting is] 0-396

#2. Carter #WD-O [ and under that is] 6-321 [and on the center casting is] 0-433 and on the mounting flange is 277

Can anyone help ?
Thanks
Jack Carroll

Philippe M. Ruel

Original Carter carb for 1939 LaSalle was WDO-423-S (not MDO).

I dont find any mention of a C-O Carter carburetor. Through the 30s and 40s they made W-1, WA-1, WE, W-O, WDO, WCD and BB (Ball & Ball).

Carter WDO-460-S (1940 LaSalles) and WDO-506-S (1941 Cadillacs) had a 277 casting number on face of carb flange.

Jack Carroll

Philippe,
The C-O carb is on the car now and isnt running that well.[its the carb that was on the car when I bought it about 5 1`/2
years ago]it was sent out to be rebuilt about 3-4 years ago but I dont know if the C-O carb was the one I sent or the rebuilder kept mine as a core and sent me the C-O model or rebuilt mine and sent it back ot me. The second carb is a spare and if it is correct or if will work fine on my motor I was planning to that one rebuilt by a different
rebuilder and still be able ot use my car in the meantime.
Thanks
Still looking for info.

Jack Carroll

Rhino 21150

As always, Google it. Type the carb number and make into Google and see what comes back. You are bound to land on someones discussion forum and a tech site or two.

Jack Carroll

I am still trying to identify the 2 carbs.After closer examination, they are both Carter model WD-O #321.I also went
on a Google search and found that the WD-O was used on a
number of cars from 1935 - 1949 but no #321.

Still need help.
Jack Carroll

Jack Carroll

An additional note. The closest variation of the WD-O carb.
was # 322 used on a 1936 Pontiac.

Thanks, Jack Carroll

Philippe M. Ruel

*** The closest variation of the WD-O carb. was # 322 used on a 1936 Pontiac.***

1936 Pontiacs used a Carter W1-322S, not a WD-O.
W1-321S was used on 1935 Chevrolets.

The closest match to yours is WD-O-317S used on some Hupmobiles Sixes and Eights in 1935 and 1936. WD-O-328S was used in 1936 on Oldsmobiles Eights.

jack Carroll

Pillippe, Thanks a lot for the info. I guess the carbs I have
are most likely a 1935-1937 vintage. So I wonder if the #321 is compatable with the correct model for the 1939 LaSalle[ WD-O #423]or not.

Thanks again
Jack Carroll

John Washburn

Jack,

If your second Carburetor, with the Casting Number 277 on the face of the flange is for the following:

La Salle Eight, Models 40-50 & 40-52 for 1940.

This should be a WDO Dual Down-Draft Climatic Control Carbureter (Carter Spelling) -- Model 460S.

This carburetor will will just fine on the 39.

If you need more help drop me a note directly.

Good Luck

John Washburn
CLC #1067