News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

switch to radial tires

Started by Art Cutler #15689, June 21, 2006, 02:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Cutler #15689

I am considering a switch to radial tires on my 41 Series 62 Coupe due to tracking grooves in the road and the huge about of weight required to balance the currently available WWW bias ply tires.  The original tire size is 700x15 with a diameter/width of 29.3/7.4 inches.  I am considering BF Goodrich P225-75-15 steel radials which have a diameter/width of 28.5/8.4 inches.  Does anyone have experience with a similar tire swap or suggestions on an alternative?

Dave Leger CLC #19256

Hi Art,

Ive talked with a few guys in the club about this, as I have considered the same for my 47 coupe.  Im probably not doing it for awhile, having only 700 miles on the Firestone bias ply tires on now.  The one concern I heard was regarding fender skirts.  Ive heard that with many radials, I would have to remove the skirts on my car.  Someone did tell me Diamond Backs were narrower, and might not cause that.  As I recall, your car didnt have skirts, so I think youd be ok (nice meeting you, and seeing the car on the Taos trip, by the way!).  Dont forget youd need to change the spare out too.  You never want to have bias ply and radials on at the same time.

Dave Leger

Michael Brittan #2750

Hi Art:  Dave makes an important point about the clearance for fender skirts.  I recently switched to radials on my 48 and carefully checked the width of the tires beforehand to ensure ample clearance.  I went with Diamondbacks.  The person who balanced the new radials affixed the weights to the inner portion of the wheels rather than the rim so that they would not interfere with the fit of the sombrero hubcaps.  Regards, Mike

DICK #20229

I BOUGHT FOUR OF THEM FOR MY SERIES 75 42 CADDY A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO,BEST DAMN THING I EVER DID FOR THE CAR. I COULDNT STOP THE CAR IN RAIN BEFORE AND I WAS NEVER SURE WHEN THOSE OLD BEASTS WOULD BREAK DOWN. I HAVE BEEN TO NY AND BACK FROM HERE IN IL AND A FEW OTHER TRIPS WET AND DRY,ITS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. ONE MANS OPINON OF COURSE.

Art Cutler

Thanks David.  Good to meet you on the Taos trip.  I did notice the Diamond Backs are a bit narrower.  Perhaps that is the way to go.  See you at the next meet.

Art

Chris Braun

Ive switched, years ago, and Ive always been REAL glad I did.  Handling is superb, ride is a little rougher, but not a real big difference, but the safety factor is what did it for me.  As far as width, they are a little wider, but all that means for me, is deflating the rears when putting em on and off, with the skirts off.  They fit inside the skirts just fine for driving.

Art Cutler #15689

Thanks to all for the good information.  Looks like radials are in my future.

David Whittaker #20768

Do you gentlemen increase the tire pressure when switching to radials from bias ply tires?  If so, why?  If so, by how much do you increase the pressure?

Thanks,
Dave

art woody

All tires are different. Use what the manufacturer recommends embossed on the tire.
Also, here is a tip on preventing your wide whites from turning yellow. NEVER use bleach or any thing with bleach in it! What you think is whitening is drying out the rubber, causing more yellowing. I use Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner, just spray it on, let soak 60 sec. and hose off. Is not harsh on paint or chrome / stainless hubcaps & trim.

Tony Zappone

Me too.  Radial tires from Diamond Back:  my 41 60
s, my 47 6267, both have skirts, no problem.  Great on my 58 6267 also.  Bill from Diamondback recommends higher tire pressure.  Good people, good product.  Cars steer harder though.  Tony

Rhino 21150

My La Salle is the only car I have ever owned that dooesnt have radials. The Firestones are too new to remove! I have had them on 3 Fiat, 7 Chevy, 3 Ford, 2 VW, 1 Nissan, 1 Toyota, 1 Oldsmobile, 1 Pontiac, 1 Dodge. Thats in sizes from 4.50 X 12 to 10.00 X 22.00 duals, from 1968 through today. Wouldnt ride anything else. My friend at the body shop has 4.00 X 10 on his 70 mph GoKart!