News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wood dash trim replacement

Started by Michael Thomas, July 09, 2006, 02:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Thomas

Hi folks.  I just bought a 68 Brougham with an excellent original interior.  The rosewood trim on the doors is in remarkable condition, but the trim on the dash is missing a strip of veneer under the ignition switch and climate control panel.

Is replacement trim available?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Michael

JIM CLC # 15000

Michael, Call some "furniture" repair shops. They should be able to put you on the right track for ordering some veneer, or they may have some laying around gethering dust. Be prepared to order a large amount if you have to order some.
BTW, what part of the country are you in? IM also a "thomas".
Good Luck, JIM

Michael Thomas

Quote from: JIM CLC # 15000Michael, Call some "furniture" repair shops. They should be able to put you on the right track for ordering some veneer, or they may have some laying around gethering dust. Be prepared to order a large amount if you have to order some.
BTW, what part of the country are you in? IM also a "thomas".
Good Luck, JIM

Hi Jim.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Im sure someplace here has veneer panels in a suitable color.  If all else fails, I have a cabinet I might consider sacrificing to the cause.  LOL.

Im in Phoenix Arizona, but I was born in St Louis Missouri.

Thanks again for your help!

Michael

JIM CLC # 15000

07-10-06
Michael, IM a PHOENIX snow-bird, I winter in SCW, Wife wants to return in Oct. I may have to, as the price of "natural-gas" is unbelivable in the Portland,OR area.
You will have to stain any veneer you use. You may be money  
ahead to have a furniture repair shop do the staining for you.
Good Luck,NC JIM

Michael Thomas

Hi Jim.  I think that having the furniture company do the staining is a great idea.  No doubt theyll have the right color (or something close) in stock.

I wish I were not in Phoenix in the summer.  Its way too hot and the summers seem to be longer every year.  

Thanks for all of your help.  I appreciate it and it was nice talking with you.

Michael

Doug Sprinthall

Try these guys.    http://www.usapartssupply.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.usapartssupply.com/
I ordered a cut to fit veneer for my 68 dvc and I think it was
about 40 bucks.  Color was a decent match.  
They recomended a little linseed oil.  Still looks great.
Doug

Michael Thomas

Quote from: Doug SprinthallTry these guys.    http://www.usapartssupply.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.usapartssupply.com/
I ordered a cut to fit veneer for my 68 dvc and I think it was
about 40 bucks.  Color was a decent match.  
They recomended a little linseed oil.  Still looks great.
Doug

Thanks Doug.  Thats the kind of thing Im looking for.  As it turns out I just ordered a catalog from USA Parts Supply and hope to get it in a few weeks.

Did it come with glue?  Did you have to remove the existing veneer or just glue the new piece over it?

Lars Langoy

Quote from:
Did it come with glue?  Did you have to remove the existing veneer or just glue the new piece over it?[/quote
Hi
I purchased the same veener from USApartssupply, it was greate.
You do have to remove the old veener, have som laquer on the new piece and get your own glue.

Regards
Lars

Matt Mersereau

I would suggest a high-quality contact cement for applying the veneer to the dash. You apply a thin layer to both the dash and the veneer, let it dry to a tack, then position it and apply pressure. Itll last for many years without popping off. Get the positioning correct the first time, because with contact cement there is no second chance!

Michael Thomas

Quote from: Lars Langoy
Quote from:
Did it come with glue?  Did you have to remove the existing veneer or just glue the new piece over it?[/quote
Hi
I purchased the same veener from USApartssupply, it was greate.
You do have to remove the old veener, have som laquer on the new piece and get your own glue.

Regards
Lars

Hi Lars.  Thanks for the info!

Michael Thomas

Quote from: Matt MersereauI would suggest a high-quality contact cement for applying the veneer to the dash. You apply a thin layer to both the dash and the veneer, let it dry to a tack, then position it and apply pressure. Itll last for many years without popping off. Get the positioning correct the first time, because with contact cement there is no second chance!

Thanks Matt.  Do you have a cement brand that you prefer?  How does it hold up in extreme weather.  I live in Phoenix and the summers get to 115 or so.  Ive seen veneer panels in Fleetwoods curl up top and bottom on the door panels.

Bill Burton #19057

Look for a Rockler Woodworkers Store.  Also look for woodworking magazine or the like.  In the back they have several wood sources that can get you whatever you want in virtually any color you need.  In your area, there may be a hardwood store, as opposed to a lumberyard, check with them as well.  You shouldnt have to buy great amounts of material unless you want.

Matt Mersereau

Michael,
I would stay away from anything that you might find at Wal-Mart in the school supply aisle. Try a home improvement center and look in the kitchen countertop area. The cement used to glue laminate countertop material to the substrate should be plenty strong, and heat resistant as well. If possible, it should be sprayed on for best results. You could also mask off the dash and use a small roller that is compatable with adhesives. I would use something with a short-nap. Again, be sure the solvents in the cement will not melt the roller you use... that could get pretty messy.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Michael Thomas

Hi Matt.  Thanks for the tip.  There is very little open area on the dash area where the veneer will be mounted.  The accessory controls and ignition switch take up most of the area.  Would a small brush do instead of a roller?  

Also, would the solvent(s) in the cement be too harsh for the plastic dash panel?

Matt Mersereau

Michael,
You are absolutely correct about the area on which the veneer is to be mounted. I was thinking more about installing veneer on a cabinet rather than the specific application were discussing here. I should have thought of that, I actually own a 68 CDV. Check out the photo gallery on this site, it should still be there.

You could use a brush as long as you dont allow the brush strokes in the cement to get too uneven in thickness. If this happens it will show through the veneer as slight, but noticeable ripples.

As far as the solvent and the dash bezel are concerned, no worries. The bezel is made of metal, not plastic. We are talking about a Cadillac here, not a Chevy! ; )

Rhino 21150

I have used veneer for many years in houses. It is available from Home Depot in strips, which is what it sounds like you need. Its about 7/8" wide, just enough to cover the edge of a plywood shelf. They usually have cherry, oak, poplar and maple available. You stain it yourself. Some of it uses hotmelt glue on the back, get plain wood. I use silicone rubber (Dow, 100percent silicone, clear) to attach anything to a car. Non-toxic, no stink, comes off with paint thinner (mineral spirits), trims with a razor, cheap. And it never lets go until you tell it to. Ive used it to hold plastic grill parts to a chromed bumper, plastic dash pieces that broke off, waterproofing connectors on the outside of a trailer. I love this stuff!

Michael Thomas

Thanks Rhino.  Ive used silicone myself but didnt think of it here.  Great idea!

Steve McCarthy #21750

There is a company that sells a huge assortment of wood veneers and tools, adhesives and finishes to apply them.
This link will take you to the veneers section.
http://www.constantines.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=166 TARGET=_blank>http://www.constantines.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=166

They even have peel and stick veneers available
With a little practice you should be able to replace any or all of your veneers.
Good luck!
Steve

Michael Thomas

Phil Taylor (Ex CLC 20159)

While Wood Dash Trim is difficult, try redoing a 38 center section. Only way I bet it is draw the whole dash in AutoCad 3D and set it to a Laser Engraver and burned to whole center section out of a solid piece of Cherry.  Its not "Original" but sure looks good  ;-)