News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 Series 62 over-heating issues

Started by Andrew Foilb, July 24, 2006, 01:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Foilb

Ive removed and flow-tested the radiator, replaced the water pump twice and verified its pumping ability, removed the thermostat (still over-heats) and added an auxilary electric fan.  The heater core is blocked solid and I suspect stop leak as the cause as previous owner used it liberally.  Ive since temporarily bypassed the heater core.  Since doing so the vehicle still over-heats however takes aprox. 45 min. as opposed to 20 min. to do so.  Ive had both cylinder heads removed and water jackets thoroughly cleaned.  This made no difference.  I know for a fact large deposits of stop leak were found and removed from both heads however I am uncertain as to how thoroughly these deposits were removed from the coolant passages in the block, especially since the original freeze plugs were never removed/replaced.  I recently removed all 6 freeze plugs from the engine block expecting to find an over-whelming amount of stop leak and although there was evidence of the stuff the amount I was able to remove was minimal.  Ive since made attempts to flush out any remaining deposits using a pressure washer and compressed air alternately and reassembled the vehicle, however this latest attempt has not improved my over-heating situation in the slightest.  One other thing I should point out is when the engine is sitting at idle the temperature guage will climb steadily and the engine will over-heat.  If I run the engine at a constant higher rpm (2,000-3,000) the needle will sit comfortably in the mid-normal zone.  As soon as I take my foot off the throttle and the rpms drop down to idle I can literally watch the needle climb and it does so quite rapidly.  I am at my wits end and would greatly appreciate any advice.

ROY PIERCE 20181

you may want to check your bottom tank for stop leak, mine was full of junk mixed with stop leak, not full but reduced amount for water and over heated.

ken

Do you mean the bottom tank of the radiator? Which bottom tank are you referring too? We have checked the radiator and waterpump and all the waterjackets that could be accessed by the freeze plugs.

robert p millian

Andrew

What pound radiator cap are you using? I would use a 15 lb cap. Also,check your antifreeze. I should be good for 20 degrees below zero. A higher lb radiator cap will raise the boiling point and or adiquate amount of antifreeze will prevent the water from boiling.

bob

Bill Hedge 14424

I had a similar problem with my 61 Series 75.   Are you sure that the engine is really overheating??  I wound up replacing many of the same items as you did.  I finally solved the problem when I replaced the temperature sensor located on the engine block.  I should warn you in advance that the reproduction units, while outwardly appearing the same, are not always the way to go.  I replaced my temperature sensor with a reproduction unit which did not solve my problem.  Fortunately, I have a 59 parts car and when I removed the temperature sensor from the 59 and installed it on the 61 my overheating problems disappeared.  I have since seen some NOS temperature sensors appear on Ebay and purchased some as back ups

Miguel

Hello.
Remove the radiator cap, insert a candy thermometer and idle until the dash gauge makes you nervous.  Note the real temperature and relate which marking lines correspond to how many degrees.
Gauges not calibrated in degrees are useless. Good luck,
Miguel