News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

429 BLOWING ANTI-FREEZE

Started by Pat, July 24, 2006, 05:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

My 67 429 is blowing anti-freeze out of the overfill hose, car sat for 7 months, does it sound like a sticky thermostat?  I turned front defroster on in hopes of opening thermostat and I didnt hear any screeching from water pump?  Anti-freeze was clean and green.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Pat

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Pat,

Coolant coming out of the radiator overflow pipe is normal, if the radiator has been filled up to the top.

You dont say if it is running too hot, so it might not be a real problem.

The rule-of-thumb for filling a radiator that doesnt use a late model recovery system, is to only fill to about 1 inch below the top of the header tank.

As the temperature rises, the water will expand, and the excess will be displaced out the overflow pipe, never to return again.

Eventually, the water will find its own level and when the radiator has cooled down, say, the next day, when you open the cap, you will see just how low the level is.

But, if the water is constantly flowing out, then you need to fill the radiator to the top, leave the cap off, and start the engine, let it run, untill it warms up, but not too hot, and observe to see if there are any air bubbles coming out the top.  If there are, it will indicate that there might be a leaking head gasket.

Hope this helps,

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

Pat

Spilling out of overflow hose after driven 6/10th of a mile, doesnt do it while car is idling.

Thanks,

Pat

Quote from: PatMy 67 429 is blowing anti-freeze out of the overfill hose, car sat for 7 months, does it sound like a sticky thermostat?  I turned front defroster on in hopes of opening thermostat and I didnt hear any screeching from water pump?  Anti-freeze was clean and green.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Pat

Pat

Left car running with defroster on and no longer spilling over.

Quote from: PatSpilling out of overflow hose after driven 6/10th of a mile, doesnt do it while car is idling.

Thanks,

Pat

Quote from: PatMy 67 429 is blowing anti-freeze out of the overfill hose, car sat for 7 months, does it sound like a sticky thermostat?  I turned front defroster on in hopes of opening thermostat and I didnt hear any screeching from water pump?  Anti-freeze was clean and green.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Pat

Pat

When car is idling, engine moving approximately 1- 1 1/2 inches, is it a bad rubber engine mount?

Thanks,

Pat

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Pat,

Any rocking of an engine whilst idling is going to be caused either by a massive miss-fire of the ignition, or some other thing that causes a massive out of balance as the engine is turning over.

Even with an engine sitting on the ground, and idling over, it wont move around.

The only time an engine should move on the engine mounts if one of the mounts is broken, is when either a forward or reverse gear is selected and the engine torque will try and lift up one side.

I drove around USA in 02, 14,750 miles in my 89 Thunderbird with both front engine mounts broken.  I knew they were broken, so I purchased replacements to fit but it was a cow of a job to replace them, and as they were the safety type, I didnt have a hesitation in leaving them as they were, so I returned them to the store.   Never experienced a problem on the whole trip.    

To illustrate just how much strain on the engine mounts, the engine in my 750hp Dragster was held onto the chassis rails with hose clips around the semi-circle saddles.   I could even fire up the motor without the clamps tightened but always tightened them prior to competition.   Never had a problem.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Pat

Thanks Bruce - What does "massive miss-fire of the ignition" mean?  Is it when a spark plug is not working or a valve/piston is shot?  

Again,Thanks,

Pat

Quote from: Bruce Reynolds # 18992Gday Pat,

Any rocking of an engine whilst idling is going to be caused either by a massive miss-fire of the ignition, or some other thing that causes a massive out of balance as the engine is turning over.

Even with an engine sitting on the ground, and idling over, it wont move around.

The only time an engine should move on the engine mounts if one of the mounts is broken, is when either a forward or reverse gear is selected and the engine torque will try and lift up one side.

I drove around USA in 02, 14,750 miles in my 89 Thunderbird with both front engine mounts broken.  I knew they were broken, so I purchased replacements to fit but it was a cow of a job to replace them, and as they were the safety type, I didnt have a hesitation in leaving them as they were, so I returned them to the store.   Never experienced a problem on the whole trip.    

To illustrate just how much strain on the engine mounts, the engine in my 750hp Dragster was held onto the chassis rails with hose clips around the semi-circle saddles.   I could even fire up the motor without the clamps tightened but always tightened them prior to competition.   Never had a problem.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Porter

When the engine mounts let go the engine will lift under load and the fan will rub on the shroud, happened to me a few times.

Bruces comments were appropriate.

Porter