News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

engine swap

Started by G.Lucas, July 25, 2006, 10:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Lucas

Hello, I have a 1955 fleetwood that I am considering to change the motor to a 1960 cadillac 390.I have the matching transmission.I dont know if anyone eles has done this.I do not know if the 1960 accessories will fit(power steering pump,compressor and altinator).Just by looking at the 2 motors, it looks like the drivers exhaust manifold will have to be changed and that the ps.pump may interfer with the existing brake booster.I may have to use the parts off the 331 motor.I do not know if I need a ignition resistor for the 390? I know I will have tomake adjustments to the nutral safty switch.What order is tare the gears on the shifter in(p r n d d1 d2,or p n d d1 d2 r)? I know I will have to replace the exhaust system to adapt to the new motor and the drive shaft.I am seending the car out for body and paint work soon, but I need to try to fit in the new motor and tranny first.Is ther something else to consider or pay attension to for this tansplant? Thaks in advance,G.L.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday GL,

Have a look at this.   I did a search on 331 Engine swap: http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/cgi-bin/user/forum.cgi?select=2Fclc2Fclctech2F741052F76469 TARGET=_blank>http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/cgi-bin/user/forum.cgi?select=2Fclc2Fclctech2F741052F76469

It has been discussed before, and I cant see it being a problem.

The gear change is the same, so there wont be any problems in that department.

But, the 60 uses a Powersteering Pump bracket that puts the pump onto the left side of the engine, and I cannot see where the 60 Generator will foul the Brake Booster as it is on the Right side.

Hope this helps.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV