News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Convertible on Overhaulin tonight

Started by Steve Cole #22466, July 26, 2006, 12:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Cole #22466

Power blue convertible repainted to taupe/metallic gray (non Caddy color). The car was kept pretty much stock but the engine was painted salmon color & has muscle car-esque valve covers.

Over 200 items off to the chrome shop!

Anyways, make your own judgements. A few things make me cringe but overall its not too bad.

Vince Taliano #13852

The car is now a collector’s item because it was overhauled by the legendary Chip Foose!  If the owner is not a CLC Member, I hope the SoCal Region can locate her and persuade her to join.  It would be cool to see a story on the car in the Self-Starter.

I spoke with two Cadillac buddies during the show and we were all in agreement that the car looked great but we werent thrilled about the engine being painted Salmon instead of Cadillac blue. I think the owners expression when they opened the hood was similar to ours. Personally, I would prefer blue over salmon, even if blue wasnt the stock color.

Congrats to OVERHAULIN’ for finally having a Cadillac on the show.  If they are interested in doing another Cadillac, I have one in the garage that they can come pick up whenever they want!

Vince

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Take mine, take mine.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

I also viewed the episode.  At the outset, Overhaulin stated that this was not one of their typical projects since it was more of a restoration than a “tricked out” car.  Although the engine color and valve covers left something to be desired, the valve covers could easily be replaced and the engine repainted.  I thought the comment at the beginning of the show that replacement parts were not available was a little misleading.  I suppose that some part might be hard to locate, however, in general, replacement parts would not be difficult to locate - especially for someone active in the business like Foose.  

The episode was interesting in that it did show how to update an audio system and still keep the car original in its appearance by hiding the stereo in the glove box compartment and upgrading the speakers and still use the original speaker locations.    I thought the portion showing  Foose hand painting the hubcap centers because they were not available was “interesting” also.  The chroming portion was interesting in that, if I recall correctly, over 200 parts were chromed!! However, I suppose a little drama has to be interjected to make the show appealing to the masses.

I would have preferred to see the car restored to its original color.  Overall, I thought the show and car was tastefully done - especially considering that this car was not a “garage queen” and is driven fairly frequently by the woman.  I also thought that the person who had her car “Overhauled” would make a good member.  She also had previously owned a 68 Cadillac that had a bad engine and therefore she disposed of the car.  The woman owner of the car obviously had an appreciation for these cars.

I also agree with Bruce.  I have a 1961 limo that could use a little overhaulin attention.  It would be a challenge for them - although not as much chrome!!  But, since I am locaated in the Midwest, I am probably not a viable candidate.

Peter CLC#19666

I am a regular fan of the show, and once I saw they were overhaulin a Cadillac, I got very nervous as to how much they were going to destroy of the original car! Much too my relief, they kept it very much stock! I, too, noticed that the husband immediately noticed the engine looked more Chevy orange than Cadillac blue!

The husband seems knowledgable about Cadillacs as he used the correct term to describe her previous car, a 59 Cadillac Eldo, as "Persian Sand."

Was also very impressed that the Cadillac needed very little metal work repairs (or any repairs, for that matter)...one of the fewest of any car theyve featured.

But, if they can come to NY and take my car and do the same, they certainly can! Once theyre done, Id paint the engine and headers correctly and be a very satisfied man!

~Peter

Lynn C CLC#21641

What lucky ladies (both the owner and the car) !

I only wish it was my 1957 CDV they were overhauling !  My husband and I watched the show hoping to glean any tricks of the trade for reassembling the car especially with all that trim and chrome.  We are currently in the final stages of restoring my 1957 CDV and its like a bajillion piece jigsaw puzzle.  

I was pleased that they didnt chop off the fins or change the profile of the car to "customize" or "hotrod" it.  I think it looked  great in the taupe color that was selected.  Im not so sure about that salmon interior and engine color !

Hopefully, well see more cadillacs on overhaulin,

Lynn

Jeff Moody

I thought the overhaul was great. I wish they would have put in Airrides airbag suspension and a 500 CI Caddy engine like I have in my 41 cad. conv. and Im putting in my 42 Cad. conv. or at least a 61 390 cad. engine with a factory 3-2 set up like I did on my dads 58 coupe deville. That way you get full flow oil filtration plus more cubic inches. Just a thought. Jeff

Richard Hanson

Note the latest sponsor of the program: Cadillac!
I expect to see a lot more Caddy influence in future shows.

Mike Welch

OK I got pictures of this car sent to me from a Cop who visited the set alot At
http://www.flickr.com/photos/classiccadillacchat/tags/overhaulin/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.flickr.com/photos/classiccadillacchat/tags/overhaulin/

They were sent in by JEREMY RABINE who was also restoring a 56 Cadillac conv. There even is a picture of Jeremy & Chip. I Cant believe this  Grin
If you wnt to ask Jermey some questions you can post on my club @ http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classiccadillacchat/ TARGET=_blank>http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classiccadillacchat/
No you are not obligated to join to post.
Just look for the topic "Overhaulin" 56 Cadillac this link should take you right to it
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classiccadillacchat/message/17935 TARGET=_blank>http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classiccadillacchat/message/17935

Morgan Murphy, #17409

You should get Jeremy to send you pictures of the 1955 Coupe DeVille I call "Old Yeller."  He bought it from me a few years back and is doing the most amazing restoration job!  Hes not only an incredibly nice guy, but a good mechanic, too.

Mike Welch

LOL! He says it will never be as nice as the one on the show , not coming out good LOL!!
I like a modest person like that.

jason hobbit

I wish they would take my car from me and do it up real nice.

Jason