News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

"Funny" Hydramatic sound

Started by Lars B, July 27, 2006, 02:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars B

Hi
Im new to this forum,and i must confess im new to the cadillac scene to. Actually im new to all what GM cars is.
Ive been fiddling with pre 48 Fords and Volvos VWs and some odd Saab for thirty years, yes i live in Sweden ;-)

Anyway two months ago i bought one of my Fifties dreamcars, a 1956 Coupe deville.

And there is a noise in first gear, something like the humming of an electric motor (did not notice it since there was an exhaust leak when i bought the car). As soon as it shifts to second its silent. The gearbox works OK except from that noise.

People ive asked here in Sweden says that i can drive for years and years with that sound. Other say i need to swap ASAP, to another?

Opinions anyone???

///////Lars B

Doug Houston

On the first 56 adillac I had, many years ago, I had to remove the carpet and padding because the heater valve leaked and drained the cooling system into the car.With the carpet out, I was amazed at the racket coming from the transmission. There were all sorts of squishing noises, groans, gear sing noises as the transmission went through shifts. There was also a steady gear sing as the car drove in fourth range. Those were normal noises; the transmission was working perfectly.

Perhaps some of the jute matting beneath the carpet has become hardened, or is missing. Its important for sound deadening. If the transmission is shifting properly, you are probably hearing normal noises.

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

When the transmission is in the first gear, the front unit and the rear unit are in reduction. In second gear, only the rear unit is in reduction; in third gear the front unit alone is in reduction and, in 4th gear, there is no reduction. Each unit, or planetary gear set, may produce some noise when working. When both are working, there is just more noise...As long as there is no slippage, dont worry.
Roger
Switzerland

Lars B

Ok i have all the floor insulation in place, and the noice is quite high. but its only in first gear.
And i cant feel any slippage, if i floor it the first to second shift is sort of hars. but all the other shifts, you cant notice almost.
So i will drive on ;-)

//////Thanks Lars Brandow