News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

64 Eldorado convertible top spec.

Started by Craig Witsoe, July 29, 2006, 10:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Witsoe

Looking to replace my sandalwood Color code 06 top with correct material color and specification. Have not been able to find an original dealer upholstery album.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.

Warren Rauch

Do you have the factory top on the car now? Most replacement tops dont have the valance on the bottom of the rear window. The 64 Deville was made without the valence ,but not the eldorado. If you have an original there should be a small amount of extra material on the mounting bars that attach it to the car for a sample.Warren

Craig Witsoe

thanks Warren. Seems to match the rest of the top so could be original.  Do you know if the original tops were vinyl on Eldorados?

Warren Rauch

All the tops in 1964 were vinyl. The only difference in the tops between Deville and Eldorado is the valance on the bottom of the Eldorado rear window.My brother has three of these eldorados, one has a top with the valance,the others were replaced.If yours does have the valance , do me a favor and measure it. I would like to see if it measures the same as his. Very few cars still have the original top.Warren

Tore Robert Klerud, CLC# 20146

Wow guys, this is interesting, as I have recently purchased 64 Eldo #1763 which is in the middle of a restoration, and will need a new top when I get that far in the process. Never knew there were differences between the DeVilles and Eldorados, and being a Norwegian I don´t even understand what this valance/valence you are talking about really is. Would there be a chance of a more detailed explaination, or maybe even a picture or two showing the differences between your brother´s cars?

Regards, Tore
Norway

64 Eldo Conv
76 Eldo Conv
78 Sev Ele
80 FBd´E

Warren Rauch

The Valance I m talking about  is a little piece of top material that  is really part of the top curtain. The 64 shop manual page 16-92 describes it well . the 6367 (eldorado conv) style back curtain assembly also incorporates a back curtain lower valance. The valance is an intregal part of the back curtain assembly and is visable above the pinch weld finishing moulding when the folding top and back curtian assembly are in the raised position. It only shows a few inches above the pinch weld moulding, but the deville window goes all the way to the pinch weld.If you check the parts book you will see that for a sandlewood top, for example, 6267(deville) uses curtain 4469442 and 6367 (eldorado) uses curtain 4451454. Just more proof of the difference. It must of been a late idea because the Data book ,which pictures all the other tops doesnt cover it. Warren

Warren Rauch

A couple more notes on the 64 tops. On the eldorado  the distance from the pinch moulding to the window in about 3 inches, this inclues a small vinyl bead on the top edge of the cloth strip. The top material on all 64 is a four layer vinyl: 1)vinyl exterior surface, 2) (fabric) sheeting, 3) rubber, 4) drill cloth lining. This all bonded by a fusion process into one piece of cloth. Except for white tops this makes the interior color the same as the exterior. On white tops the lining layer is black. Warren

Quote from: Warren RauchExcept for white tops this makes the interior color the same as the exterior. On white tops the lining layer is black. Warren

Wow, that would mean that on my black car with a red interior, the inside of the black top was red too? Sounds extremely cool. However, the top bows and side rails do not look as if they have ever been repainted, and they appear to have been black from the factory. I guess the red inside was limited to the fabric only.

Now that this is clear, is there a source for the correct top material with the red inside and black outside baked together like the original once was? And I guess we´re talking $$$ here?

Regards, Tore
Norway

64 Eldo Conv
76 Eldo Conv
78 Sev Ele
80 FBd´E

Jerry Puma 5676

Tore,

What Warren is saying is that the color of the outside of the top and the inside lining of the top were the same color on the original style convertible tops, except for white tops.

When I searched for a new top years ago, I was not able to find a top that had the same color inside.

Jerry

Thanx Jerry for straightening that out, I thought it sounded a little too far out to be true...

Regards, Tore
Norway

64 Eldo Conv
76 Eldo Conv
78 Sev Ele
80 FBd´E