News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971-1976 Fleetwood Brougham w/o Vinyl Roof

Started by Tom Hall 7485, July 29, 2006, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Hall 7485

Has anyone ever seen a 1971-6 Fleetwood Brougham with a FACTORY delete vinyl roof treatment?  I have not, but that doesnt mean Cadillac never did one.  Any documentation of such a car?  (I am not talking about someone peeling a vinyl roof off and repainting the car.  I expect at least a few dealers did that kind of thing.  The Cadillac dealer I worked for did that with a few new 1976 Sevilles....)

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Growing up in Pittsburgh, I remember having seen a 1972 Fleetwood Brougham finished in Mayfair Gray with a Grayish Cloth interior, without a vinyl roof and without Opera Lamps, at the Cadillac dealer being serviced when my parents car was there for service--this was around 1972 or 1973. It stood out to me, as a Cadillac enthusiast, because of the lack of vinyl roof. The car was chauffeur driven at the time, and on several occasions, we encountered it in the city. It was last seen by me sometime in the early 1980s. This was the only 71-76 Fleetwood without a vinyl roof that I ever recall seeing--and I always say that for me, seeing a Cadillac is like seeing a fingerprint; once I see it--I always recognize every detail. Certainly, that applies more easily to the pre-2000 Cadillacs.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Long time, CA member Ted Raines has a slick-top 76 Brougham in the yellow (ivory) shade that is 100 percent original. While watching a soccer game in VA that my oldest grandson was playing in, I also saw a 1984 or so slick-top. They are out there, but not very many.

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

Ive seen 2 or 3 in the Detroit area over the years.  They are rare but attractive.

Tom Hall 7485

Many thanks.  I will contact him.  I appreciate all responses.

Cliff Graubard- #1430

I have a mint low mileage (8900) 73 Fleetwood that appears to have been from the factory without a roof. However, on the invoice is a $1595.00 charge from the dealership for a HALF vinyl roof. I dont think I have seen too many like that before, anybody else?

Tom Hall 7485

Hi, Cliff.  I saw your car at the All-GM Meet and again on the Internet.  Great car.

If you have the factorys window sticker, as opposed to a dealer-made window sticker, does it mention anything about delete vinyl roof or similar wording?  I think it probably would.  Is there a marking on the body plate under the hood?  If there is a color code for the top, then there was a vinyl top to start with.

The top treatment on your car, which is unusual, looks like something Maloney would have done in the Chicago area, although as I recall you said your car came from Cashmans in Las Vegas.  I think it probably had the special roof, along with the hood treatment, done somewhere in the western United States.

Im writing the 1971-6 Authenticity Manual (Class 25, the big RWD cars) and trying to document a factory delete option, which I suspect existed.  Can you and your car help document such an option?