News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Check out the odd Cadillac in the background!

Started by Cory Evans, July 30, 2006, 12:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory Evans

Anyone have any idea what this is? Im assuming its some sort of custom job.  Thought it was interesting and would share it!
Scroll down the the third picture!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-PROJECT-RESTORABLE-STANDARD-MODEL-CALL_W0QQitemZ230010683975QQihZ013QQcategoryZ31865QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-PROJECT-RESTORABLE-STANDARD-MODEL-CALL_W0QQitemZ230010683975QQihZ013Q

You may have to copy and paste. Sorry about that!

Eric Maypother CLC #15104

Hi,
They look like 2 cars that with discussed on here some time ago, I think in a picture in 1 post they were being trailered. Then I think they were brought up again after that. Hess & Eisenhardt view wagons or something like that?
Eric :)

Eric Maypother CLC #15104

PS: The seller has several Cadillacs on auction but not these but Im sure if you e-mail them they could give you some info on them. But if you look at the pictures of the cars it looks like most are in different places so he may be just selling them on consignment to, or taking pictures of them where he found them.
Eric :)

Bernie DeWinter, IV

No question about it, those are 56 Hess & Eisenhardt Custom View Masters, and given the low production numbers, they have to be the same ones discussed here recently.  Notice that theyre on the shorter series 62 chassis, but they use Fleetwood 60 Special front doors.  Those two factors alone are a tipoff as to what they are; not to mention the special side trim.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Were those like the cars the Broadmoor Hotel in Colo. Springs used for Pikes Peak tours?

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17693

They may have been, Rusty. I did not make that but saw some pictures.  Those are really neat cars.  I remember seeing one in Wyoming at a ranch back in the early 60s when I was just a small child.  It made a real impression, as you can tell.  That would be one car that would be even neater than the sedan I have, but I am very happy with the 6219 I have.  Do any members of the C&LC have a Hess & Einhardt View Master?

I will check the Database!!! :-)

Bernie DeWinter, IV

Having looked closely at both of those types of cars, and even being privlieged enough to drive both versions, I can safely say that theyre far different from each other.  

The View Masters were built on a shorter series 62 chassis, and used Fleetwood 60 Special front doors, with new upper rear door frames built to match the front doors, and special quarter windows exclusive to those cars. They were considered series 86s, even though they werent built on a series 86 chassis.  Another oddity about the View Masters was the tailgate window, which used the same glass as a 55 Nomad in that first year, but was modified for the 56 models by switching to a window that lowered into the tailgate itself.  For some reason, the 6 passenger View Masters had a second seat that was far plusher than the rear seats of the 9 passenger versions, too.

By contrast, the Broadmoor cars were built on a series 86 chassis, using what was essentially an S&S hearse body with modifications.  The upper sectons of the rear side doors of the Broadmoors were special and exclusive to those cars, as were the quarter windows, and there was a rear door for access to the spare tire that didnt extend above the beltline, though it was essentially a shortened hearse door, and it used an abbreviated modification of a stock Cadillac outside door handle.  Likewise, the 3 piece wraparound rear window glass was the same glass used in an S&S hearse.  Im not sure, but the more I look, the more I believe the Broadmoors also had a different roof panel in that it had less "top hat" to it than a standard S&S roof panel.  Also, while all S&S hearses and ambulances were still using rear side doors hinged at the C pillar at the time, the Broadmoors had rear side doors hinged at the B pillar.  Another odd feature of the 55 Broadmoors was the rear wheel openings, which were the same as a 55 Eldorado, though the 56 versions didnt have that modification.

In both cases, the cars were far from simple conversions, and like a Cadillac commercial chassis, the subtle oddities about them never seem to end.

Yann Saunders, #12588

Correct Randall, these models are pretty well covered in the Cadillac Database (1955 and 1956 Dream Cars section):

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm56.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm56.htm

The two cars pictured in that eBay ad are also mentiond there.  BTW, the experts on these custom models are CLC members Kenni and Wayne Turner of Ohio.

Richard Pope

I remember these. The picture of two of them on the trailer was impressive. At the time this seller wanted to sell one of wagons (it was the worse off of the two). It was posted on Ebay for some time but I dont think anyone ever meet his reserve.

These are old pictures of the toronado, so the one wagon that was for sale may, in reality, not be on his property anymore.

Dick Heller

ebay Item number: 4600536151

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

While out of town, I called home to pick up messages and I had one from a CLC member who was inquiring about the Broadmoor and the cars they and the local Gray Line used. I accidentally erased the call via remote control so I dont have your name and number. I do remember the Broadmoor Cadillacs going up Pikes Peak when we had a cabin near Colo. Springs in the 60s, but dont have a memory of specific years/models. The only other knowledge I have of the Brooadmoor Pikes Peak Fleet" (as they called it) I got from articles in the Self-Starter. One was a very detailed one in one of the big annual issues which unfortunately the club no longer publishes and the other was about the stretched 37-75s the hotel and Gray Line used which had pictures of a couple that were still abandoned in Colorado.  I also have a picture of a large Pierce-Arrow touring car from the 20s with my dad and his family in it before they started up the mountain.  He told me that all the Broadmoor cars were Pierces during that period before they switched to Cadillacs.

denise 20352

I dunno...but I cant believe hes turning down $510 on the Toronado.   We could suggest that he lower his reserve to get rid of an unrestorable problem car, but we all know how well that works.  ;)

-denise

Cliff Graubard- #1430

Great information on the cars

I currently own 3 1955 Broadmoor Skyviews, apparently 6 were made. And as of about 2 months ago, I believe all 6 are still inexistence. I also have one of the 2 known 1956 Broadmoor Skyview Wagons.

I have always loved Cadillac Wagons. I have had many 65-78 Cad Wagons over the years plus a few Paris edition pickups.

PLUS, the guy that has the cars on Ebay, loves his Cadillacs. He and I went to a private collection last year and that is where we found FOUR of the 12 1956 Viewmaster Wagons. I ended up with one, and Marc (the guy on Ebay) ended up with one and his friend took the third car. His friend decided he did not want it, so that is the one that has been offered on Ebay recently.

I found it odd that the cowl tag on the 56 Viewmaster was listed as an 86 Series yet the VIN is not.

I am going to sell off my 1955 Broadmoor Wagon projects, and stay with the 56s. I have always loved 56s more than 55s but was not ever able to locate an affordable 56 over the years. Then last year happened and we found the 4 56 Viewmasters and out of the Blue came a 56 Broadmoor. Another 55 Broadmoor resurfaced last year also, it has found a new home in Colorado after a brief visit to Las Vegas.

I have some "factory" photos from H/E as the 55 Broadmoors were being built and some at the Hotel as the 55s were being presented to the Hotel.