News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question for 1968 Cadillac owners

Started by Archie Calise, July 30, 2006, 09:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Calise

Just curious.   Fellow 68 owners.... With the driver door open, and the buzzer sounding to alert you that the keys are in the ignition, which tel-tale lights on the left of the instrument panel are lit?
Arch
CLC#17647

Michael Stamps 19507

Is your engine temp light on?  Not on a 68 but I ended up with a short in the horn believe it or not.

Stampie

Archie Calise

Yeah,
Just noticed it.  Is that a short?......

Geoff Newcombe #4719

A small leap of faith here.  ASSuming 68 and 71 are the same in this instance (since they both operate the same in this regard), my 71 manual tells me that .........  No, that is not a short, that is normal operstion.  The key in the ignition warning buzzer, the warning light and buzzer for engine overheat, and the horn relay are all in the same relay (the answer to Stampies horn shorting out, one bad relay).  In my 71, if I open the door with the key in the igniton the buzzer sounds AND the engine overheat light comes on, if the engine were to overheat the same would occur .... buzzer sound and warning light.
This operation is spelled out in your 1968 Owners Manual, and in your 1968 Shop Manual.  If you dont have an Owners Manual (or Shop Manual) they pop up on ebay all the time.  Both very handy/essential to have (especially the Shop Manual) if youre keeping your car and want or need to know more about its operation and maintenance.  

Michael Stamps 19507

Its been years so my memory is a little fuzzy.  I think the light would stay on with the key out and door open.

Stampie
Getting old)

Michael Stamps 19507

Sorry door closed.  That was the first thing fixed because the PO put in a battery switch and that was a PITA to turn off every night.

Stampie

Archie Calise

Thanks Geoff,
Thats it exactly.  My owners manual explains the feature, as it would work if the engine overheated while in operation, just not detail on the fact that with the engine off, and key in, etc.......
Thanks again,
Arch