News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 Convertible Motor and Pump - Help please!

Started by Gary - Member #18197, July 31, 2006, 08:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary - Member #18197

My top quit working recently. Thank goodness it was at the end of its travel down to the windsheild! There is no sound coming from the system whatsoever.

My Buddy and I checked out the obvious - power to the switch and to the pump/motor - all of that seems ok. We removed the pump and motor and now Im wondering if anybody does rebuilds on that sort of equipment. Im finding new pump and motor units are running around $260 - ouch!

Can anyone recommend a good repair alternative and/or a reasonable source for a new unit? Its pretty hot in Detroit right now and Id sure like to get that top up again! Thanks in advance...

Sue 5125

Gary,

Why dont you drive over to the Motor City Region Membership Meeting on Thursday Aug 3 at Rinke Cadillac in Warren.  We will have our cars on display in the lot starting at 6 pm and the dealership is even going to feed the group.  Our membership meeting starts at 7:30 pm.  

I am willing to bet that someone there should be able to help diagnose your problem.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Gary,

I had the same thing happen on my ’66. Two of us lifted the top back to the up position manually. Be sure to lift it uniformly so not to twist or jam the bows.

HTH,
Ralph

Cliff Graubard-1430

You can always loosen the bolts the connect the cylinder ram to the top assembly.This is very easy to do and then you can move the top up and down freely.

I dont know of any other cheaper motors.They are what they are and the prices for them are very reasonable. Someone used to sell kits to rebuild, but if the unit is corroded inside you will spend more time trying to make it right with no guarantee versus just paying the $$$ to get a new one.

Rhino 21150

http://hydroe.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://hydroe.com/ They have been advertising in "Old Cars Weekly" for many years, a good sign of being reputable. The bad guys tend to fold early. Plus their home page features a Cadillac!