News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1991 Sedan DeVille Pitfalls?

Started by Steve Watzig, August 02, 2006, 09:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Watzig

I have the opportunity to buy a 1991 Sedan DeVille with 36,000 original miles. I had a 1960 convertible in the past (former CLC member) but Im not familiar with the "newer" Cadillacs. Is there anything to watch for in particular? The car is owned by a co-workers girlfriends Grandfather who was very meticulous with the car. Hes 97 now and obviously too old to drive. Thanks.

Jeffrey Klinner CLC 19166

These are nice cars.  Loads of power.  Lots of torque steer and much bobbing/weaving of the front suspesion.  Once you get past those items, it should be a very nice automobile.  I owned a 93 and adored it. My mom had a 92 and drove it 140K miles with no problems at all.  All in all, a relatively reliable attractive car.  Good luck.

Eric Kahn clc 20839

The 4.9 is a good engine and very reliable, it is a good car but made to ride like the old caddies of the early 70s, really soft suspension, the kind I like, I just bought a 95 sedan deville with the 4.9

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I agree.  My neighbors are still driving the 92 Sedan de Ville I sold them; it had 63K miles on it when they bought it and it has 150K now and its been an excellent car. I drove it when it had 130K on it and it felt like a new car. I dont remember the severe torque steer that was noted in another post...just a slight tug on the wheel if you really stepped on it. One thing to remember is that, although the 4.9 engine does not have the reliability problems of the HT4100 which preceded it, it still has an aluminum block so you should be very careful to maintain the cooling system (including the use of GM Engine Coolant Supplement aka Cadillac Stop Leak)and try to avoid an overheating situation with regular replacement of the thermostat and hoses as it will suffer more damage in an overheat situation than will a cast iron engine.  If it ever overheats, turn off the ignition and coast to a stop.

Robert Meyers

Hi!

I have 1992 Fleetwood, much the same. Owned for about 3 years. I just love it, wonderful car to drive, economical for what it is. Pwerfull, quiet, every bit a Cadillac. Nice looking.
 A little tough to work on under the hood. Replaced water pump last year, gave blood during that episode.

Downside, plastic fenders! Both developed a tiny crack at the lamp monitor fiber optic display "thing" which eventually split entirely right down to wheel.

Ive just replaced both and am having problems fitting the new after market fenders.

Be aware of this when making your decision and best of luck whatever you decide.

Sincerely,

Robert

Steve Watzig

Thanks for the info. Just what I wanted to hear.