News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Iowa Pontiac/Cadillac Dealer

Started by Virgil Perkins 19943, August 03, 2006, 09:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil Perkins 19943

Does anyone in the Davenport, Iowa or Moline, Illinois area have any information on or knowledge of the WARREN L. LANGWITH PONTIAC (and I think Cadillac) dealershlip that existed in Davenport, circa 1940 up into the mid 1960s or later? I understand that there is a Warren W. Langwith, in his mid 50s, living in Davenport that could be the grandson but I have not caught up with the gentleman as yet. Any information will be appreciated, THANKS, VP

Tom Hall 7485

The Warren L. Langwith sales outlet was in business as of 1943 at 320 Ripley Street in Davenport and it was also a distributorship, which meant Langwith could resell to other retailers.  By 1963 he had incorporated as "Warren L. Langwith, Inc." and had moved to 4th Street in Davenport.  That Cadillac-Pontiac dealership was sold around 1976 to a couple of men from the Chicago area, a Mr. Dawson (I suspect of Hanley-Dawson Cadillac in Chicago) and Hugh Ruthven, Sr., who had just finished as new car sales manager of the dealership where I worked, Fields Cadillac, in Evanston, IL.  They formed Ruthven-Dawson Pontiac-Cadillac....

If you have a Cadillac from Langwith, or someone else in the Quad Cities, please contact me at chromebumpers@netzero.net.

john langwith

Quote from: Virgil Perkins  19943 on August 03, 2006, 09:01:14 PM
Does anyone in the Davenport, Iowa or Moline, Illinois area have any information on or knowledge of the WARREN L. LANGWITH PONTIAC (and I think Cadillac) dealershlip that existed in Davenport, circa 1940 up into the mid 1960s or later? I understand that there is a Warren W. Langwith, in his mid 50s, living in Davenport that could be the grandson but I have not caught up with the gentleman as yet. Any information will be appreciated, THANKS, VP
warren l langwith was my great uncle   his father was edward tapley langwith tapley born 1855

john langwith

warren w langwith is   warren william langwith he is 61 years old and lives in i thinnk pleasant valley iowa.  he also is a great nephew of w l langwith.   warren had no children

Virgil Perkins # 19943

Quote from: john langwith on December 03, 2008, 01:11:17 PM
warren w langwith is   warren william langwith he is 61 years old and lives in i thinnk pleasant valley iowa.  he also is a great nephew of w l langwith.   warren had no children

John, Don't know how I missed your posting, will be contacting you via email. Thanks for your response, VP

Jessie4

My father was employed by Warren L. Langwith in the 1950s when it was located on Ripley Street.  I remember it was at the bottom of a hill.  When my father would come home from work, we drove north up Ripley Street to West 6th Street.  Then if you kept driving north up Ripley Street, there were stairs along the sides of Ripley Street because it was too steep to have just a sidewalk.

I have not lived in Davenport, Iowa, since my early 20s.  But I have fond memories of the firm operated by Warren L. Langwith which employed my father.  When I was about five or six years old in the 1950s, Warren L. Langwith hosted a Christmas Party for all its employees and their children.  I still remember Santa and the Howdy Doody marionettes which were given as gifts to all the children by Santa at the Christmas Party.  I wish I still had this marionette, but I never forgot it or the Christmas party.

lars@lrc.no

Does anyone know if Warren L. Langwith, Inc had license frames or any dealer script put on their vehicles. I own a '70 Deville Convertible sold new from Warren L. Langwith, Inc. and it would be great to have that on my Cadillac.