News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power window problem

Started by Geert-Jan, August 04, 2006, 09:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geert-Jan

Hi yall,

I own a 1968 De Ville Convertible, she runs great and looks very nice for her age but I have a slight problem with her power window(s) and switches. Before I start disassembling the whole car I would like to know what the most probable causes are of the malfunctioning parts, based on your (own) experiences with Caddies of that age.

All windows are working fine except the rear RH side one. Only the power window switches in the drivers side door are working (except the switch lowering/raising the rear RH side window). So I can only lower/raise the three windows at the drivers side. None of the other power window switches (front passenger side, LH & RH quarter panel) are working.

My question is: what do I have to check first, and then, etc.

Kind regards and thanks in advance!

Geert-Jan GJ (who drives the Grecian White Lady with pride in The Netherlands)

Jerry

GJ,

First start by checking the wiring harness in your doors.  Over time and with the doors opening and closing the wires tend to break.  

Next you would be to remove each of the power window controls and check their condition.  Any cracks or breaks?  Do the switches operate smoothly with a little but not too much pressure? This would be  good time to clean the connections, too.  

Last but not least - I think that the 68 has a lockout switch on the drivers door control that prevents passengers from operating their windows.  Be sure that the switch is not in the locked position.

Its not fun to cruise with the top down and a window up.  
Good luck.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

By all means, check that lock-out switch first!

Geert-Jan

Hi Jerry,

The lock-out switch is working neither. Ill start checking the wiring (harness). Maybe its (also) a relais problem.

I cleaned all door PW connectors in the door and quarter panels and treated them with electric contact spray a couple of months ago so that shouldt be the problem (any more).

Wiring problems: a car restorers nightmare....

Maybe I have to face it like my former boss said: there are no problems in life (work, etc.), only challenges.

Best regards,

GJ

Lars Kneller 8246

One way I have found to fix faulty wires in the door harness is to do bypass surgery.  Fish a new wire through the harness and then connect it on each end to the faulty wire, and that will usually fix the problem