News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Freeze Plug Replacement Advice

Started by Vinny, August 10, 2006, 02:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny

I have a 1966 DVC which I just installed the engine and trans back in the car.  I replaced all the freeze plugs when I was freshening up the block, however when I started it today, I saw a leakage of coolant.  It seems that the freeze plug right behind the starter is leaking.  I verified that by removing the starter and yep, it was a nice steady drip.  Any advice about replacing it while the engine is still in the car?  I do not want to pull the motor again!  This is the stock 429 by the way.  Also, I forgot what size the plug is.  Can anybody help!  Thanks.

Wayne Womble 12210

Take a punch and place it near the edge. Drive the plug inward and spin it around about 90 deg. Grab the other lip with pliars and pull it out.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

And when replacing it, use a socket the outside diameter of the cup, before the lip, and wipe a smear of Loctite sealer around the edge if it is the cup type.

But, if it is the saucer type, still use the Loctite, but hit it in the centre yo expand it.

Always use Brass Plugs as replacements.   Never the steel ones as they will never last as long as the originals.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV