News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need Super Radiator Core Rebuilder

Started by Bruce Berghoff - #1476, August 13, 2006, 03:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Berghoff - #1476

Well... You solved last weeks water pump rebuild problem, now Im looking for someone to recore my 1940 LaSalle radiator (near Michigan would be most convenient). Im interested in exploring going with a six row core instead of the original four row, and hearing of your experiences with same.BB

baxter culver #17184

Bruce,
When I had to replace my 39 radiator, I chose to stay with a 4-row core.  My radiator guy said more rows didnt necessarily mean a lot more cooling (by the time the air gets to the last row, the air is already at water temp so there is little heat exchange. . .)  Plus, he reminded me, the car is not driven under pressure situations such as extended high rpm, towing, pedal-to-floor climbing, etc.  A good, clean radiator should (and does) take care of all my needs given the type of driving I do with my (now) 67 year old Cadillac.

I live in the heat of Central Calif, drive occasionally in city traffic at 100F+, and have crossed the Great Basin at highway speeds (55-60+) without the temp guage ever crossing the 3/4 point.  A good water pump, fresh hoses, and correct timing/carburetor adjustment is responsible.  I am just the nitwit who keeps doing it until he gets it right.

Find a radiator shop that will install a good core (it might have to be made-up) that will really exchange heat.  Pay attention to hoses, water pump, and tuning and you will not have problems after that.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Bruce, I will call you tomorrow with the name of a guy in MI that I met at my sons father/mother-in-laws 50th wedding ann. celebration. This is NOT a rebuilt unit, but a brand new (looking like old) radiator to modern specs. (At least that is how he described it.) Best as always, Barry.

Bob S

I have used Radiator Hospital in Farmington for my 59 with A/C.  I have not had a cooling problem since.  
Bob

Bryson Talamini 21505

Bruce, And when you install it make sure you put strainers in the radiator inlets otherwise the cores will eventually block with crud and you will get overheating. I use the feet from 30 denier panty hose held in place as the inlet hose fits over the spout. There are tailor made ones you can put in the inlet hose as long as you dont mind the loss of originality.
Stay cool man!
Bryson in OZ

Bruce Berghoff - #1476

Bryson... Your fellow countryman and clubmember Robert Mitchell from Sydney anticipated that I would probably foul up my cooling system after I rebuilt it so he already shipped me a pair of Australian built in-line strainers ready to install. Have to get up early in the morning to put one over on you fellows.... no wonder your clocks are 17 hours ahead of ours ! BB