News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Engine HD oil / GW-EOS additive

Started by alan e feltham, August 19, 2006, 02:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan e feltham

My 1941 Cadillac has one noisey lifter when hot only. By cooling the engine (to about 170 operating) I have minimized the noise. Recently, several people in a local club have been using Shell Rotella 15W-40 HD diesel oil (or Mobil delvac). They claim it is great -quiets things down. Additionally, GM dealers now sell a Assembly Lubricant oil additive - E.O.S. in 16 oz containers - one /6 quarts of crankcase oil. A drivetrain tech at GM recommends it for old engines.
HAS ANYONE USED these products ? I am especially concerned about the EOS additive in my 1941 original 80,000 mile engine - but maybe it is a good thing to do? (the claim is that unlike STP, EOS will not plug the plumbing over time)

John Washburn

Alan,

Im just finishing up an article on this exact issue, which I will submitt to the Self Starter. But the real issue is that oil manufacturers have reduced the additive ZDDP in oil, this is the additive which protects and reduces wear between cam and flat lifters. Rotella T still has plenty of this additive, but in 2007, ZDDP will be reduced in this oil also.

If your interested Ill send the article to you when completed.

Good Luck

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Alan E. Feltham, CLC Member

Thanks- Ill read in Self Starter - or email to mainsl@townisp.com. We should ALL be interested - and concerned

Rhino 21150

FWIW: The Car Talk boys claim that Marvel Mystery Oil is the Only chemical they have ever put in an engine that did what it said it would and didnt ruin the engine.

Alan E. Feltham, CLC Member

For the record...I am now using 20/50 oil and one qt. of LUCAS 100percent petroleum additive - quieted lifter down a lot -just hope it doesnt clog the arteries ! Anyone with experience on this ??

Mike #19861

I have been using 15W40 oils for a long time now, and have always used EOS, and recommended it for cuatomers cars if there is any lifter noise or any other possible concern with long term durability, especially after an extended period where the oil has not been changed, or a major engine repair.

It does not need to be used every oil change, but about once per year will suffice.

But, in these older cars that do not have oil filters, or have had one installed at some point in their life, and have been using the old non-detergent 30W oils, a switch to multi-viscosity detergent oils is not recommended. The detergents will dislodge deposits in the engine where they can move to plug up oil passages and ultimately cause engine failure.

But, most all of these engines have been rebuilt and have had a stedy diet of multi viscosity detergent oils. In which case, I would heartily recommend using HD 15W40 oils. Rotella T seems to be the brand of choice, but other brands will give similar results.

Mike

Fred #23106

LUCAS: Last year I sent an email to Lucas and they said that their additives contained detergents, so I did not add Lucas to my 1939 LaSalle engine (for fear of breaking everything loose and causing problems). Most agree that if an engine has not been run with detergents, it is not good to change to detergents. Since I was not sure of what was used in the past, when I changed the oil last summer, added 20W50 Non-Detergent Aircraft Phillips Aircraft Oil.  Engine is due for annother oil change now and I will probably stay with the same oil. I am not familiar with Lucas 100percent petroleum additive and wonder if it contains detergents?

EOS: I went to the local GM dealer last fall and bought some EOS for my engine, and added a pint to the oil. EOS is an Assembly Lubricant and is specifically designed for providing outstanding protection against run-in wear and piston scuffing.  I notice on the container it says, GM does not recommend the use of this product or any products as an additive to engine oil, contrary to what others have done. I am wondering if EOS contains detergents?  The counter man at the dealer said I was the third person that week who bought EOS!

GEAR OIL: I used 80-90 Wt. Gear Oil when I changed the Transmission and Rear End fluids last year. I located this gear oil at Auto Zone. Since then, the transmission and rear end have been removed from the car and the oil will be changed before reinstallation. I am in hopes that this same 80-90 Gear Oil is what I will need for refilling.

MARVEL MYSTERY OIL: About 35 years ago, I had another 1939 LaSalle (and was a CLC Club Member at the time with a nice low membership number).  The car was buried in a body shop for over a year for a lacquer paint job.  When it was finally finished, it could barely get up to 40 mph, so I squirted some Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder (through the spark plug openings and poured some into the carburetor). Once started, there was a lot of smoke, but it quickly smoothed out and after driving it for about 3-4 m iles, it ran perfectly thereafter. I am not sure if Marvel Mystery Oil contains detergents or not, but know it to be a good product, even using it in a boat back about 20 year with twin GM 455 cubic inch inboard engines. Same results - a lot of smoke at first, but then ran perfectly thereafter. It is a remarkable product.  Would I put it in my 1939 LaSalle Engine now?  Not sure, as want to find out first if it is loaded with detergents.  Marvel claims this product can be added to the oil, as well as to the gas tank in gasoline and diesel engines.

TRANSMISSION FLUID POURED INTO CARBURETOR: My son has a 1951 Ford Stake Truck with 23,000 original miles that was really running slow (lazy), after sitting for several years. (Oil had always been changed on a regular basis for the entire 23,000 miles).  An old-timer told me to pour some transmission oil through the carburetor, which I did. It smoked as expected, but within 2 miles was running like new. Evidently when the engines sit for so long, they need some type of shock treatment.

I plan to take the top cover and oil pan off the engine in a few days to change gaskets, so will take a good look at the inside of the engine (hoping is it not full of gunk).  At that time will try to decide what additive to add (if any) and if I should use detergent or non-detergent oil. Either way, think I want to add a pint of EOS to the oil for extra lubrication, since the new oils are not necessarily designed for our older engines.

Fred

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I've used this product for over 30 years.  It's not such a "mystery".

It contains about 30% by weight Stoddard's Solvent, which was formerly used
as a dry-cleaning agent.  As such, it's a great cleaner and "dissolver" of crud that
can build up on engine internal surfaces, and as such great for "stuck rings" and
may other uses.

The balance of the formulation is a very pure, refined type of Pennsylvania
grade oil (paraffinic based oil) that has a very low ash content.  This formula has
great penetrating and lubricating properties.

For example, a few years back I had a complete engine rebuild on a 331 Caddy
engine that had to sit (unstarted) for over 2 years due to a problem with the
restoration project (too long a story to go into here).

What I did is about every 6 months, remove the plugs, pour about 1/8 cup of
Marvel down each plug hole.  Then re-installed the plugs and turned the engine
over by hand.

Bottom line:  The engine runs perfectly now and the car is on the road.  This
is a very useful additive if used for these types of problems.  Noisy lifters due
to dirt build-up could be another use.  I've used it for this as well.

I don't use it on a routine basis when I change oil, but I don't see how that
would be a problem -- unless you have a badly neglected engine in which case
nothing but a rebuild would help.

Mike (The Chemical Guru)
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

RAMcGrew

Quote from: Mike Josephic on May 01, 2007, 06:11:27 PM
I've used this product for over 30 years.  It's not such a "mystery".

It contains about 30% by weight Stoddard's Solvent, which was formerly used
as a dry-cleaning agent.  As such, it's a great cleaner and "dissolver" of crud that
can build up on engine internal surfaces, and as such great for "stuck rings" and
may other uses.

The balance of the formulation is a very pure, refined type of Pennsylvania
grade oil (paraffinic based oil) that has a very low ash content.  This formula has
great penetrating and lubricating properties.

For example, a few years back I had a complete engine rebuild on a 331 Caddy
engine that had to sit (unstarted) for over 2 years due to a problem with the
restoration project (too long a story to go into here).

What I did is about every 6 months, remove the plugs, pour about 1/8 cup of
Marvel down each plug hole.  Then re-installed the plugs and turned the engine
over by hand.

Bottom line:  The engine runs perfectly now and the car is on the road.  This
is a very useful additive if used for these types of problems.  Noisy lifters due
to dirt build-up could be another use.  I've used it for this as well.

I don't use it on a routine basis when I change oil, but I don't see how that
would be a problem -- unless you have a badly neglected engine in which case
nothing but a rebuild would help.

Mike (The Chemical Guru)

I have used Marvel's many times over the years with excellent results.  Glad to have a confirmation from a Chemical Guru now. :D
Randall A. McGrew
Denver, CO 80231

1956 Cadillac 6219 Sedans  daily driver  12 - 16 mpg on reg gas

"You Can Kill a Horse but not a Cadillac! "  Old 1909 Cadillac Ad

"The voice of the majority is no proof of Justice!"  and "Against Stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain!"

J. Friedrich Christoph Von Schiller (1759-1805)