News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Newcomer confused by the various chats

Started by Harry Carlson #16432, August 23, 2006, 10:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Carlson #16432

OK, folks, as a newcomer Im confused by the Yahoo system and the Cadillac LaSalle Clubs system.  Could you answer a few questions?

1.  Whats the difference between the forums found on the CLC website and the Cadillac Mailing List?

2.  How come you cant get to the Cadillac Mailing List from the CLC website?  Or at least, not easily.  I found accidentally by wandering through the data bank.  There are 3 forums listed on the CLC site but not the Cadillac mailing List.  Why?

3.  Why do some of my messages on the CML get posted quickly and others take so long they are obsolete by the time they get posted?  Whats the point of participating in a discussion when the messages dont get posted in the order they are sent?  It is exasperating.  Or am I doing it wrong?

4.  How do you decide which one to use, the forum or the mailing list?  The conversations seem to cover overlapping topics, for example the mailiong list talks about technical stuff and things for sale, the general forum talks about those things too.

Confused, Harry Carlson #16432

JIM CLC # 15000

08-23-06
HARRY, I will try to answer your questions, BUT I make no promises.
 Opening statement. I find "yahoo" to be OK.(It is free)
1. To my knowledge, there is NO connection between the CLC & the CML. (That is probably why you cant go from one to the other.)
2. The CLC has three "Forums" to simplefy things, If you dont want to read the "buy/sale" forums or the "suggestion" forums, you dont have to.
3. The only thing I can thank of is that the CML web-master is "short-stopping" your post. You wont find that to be the case with the CLC web-master.  (unless you dont follow the rules posted on the home page.)
4. The CLC web-site is a lot funner then the CML site. And some of the suggestions to fix problems actually are good.
HTH
Good Luck, Also confused, JIM

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Okay, so what is the CML Mailing List?

I thought any "Mailing List" would be to do with Snail Mail, and that is why it is taking so long.

Now I am confused as well.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Harry Carlson #16432

OK, if I understand this right, the Cadillac Mailing List has no official connection with the Cadillac Lasalle Club, is that right?

Ive been using the CML and Im enjoying it!  I thought I was talking to fellow CLC members and Ive even been signing using my CLC membership number!  

The people there are every bit as helpful as CLC members and just as nuts as any of us about their Caddys.

I discovered it by going to the CLC site and clicking on "The Cadillac Database."  You enter the database by clicking on the image.  Then you scroll down and there is a box referring to the Cadillac Forum (where we are now) and the Cadillac Mailing List.  Click on that and you are on a Yahoo website.  You register with Yahoo and create a name and a PIN number and you ask to join the Cadillac Mailing List.  They email you when you are in.

Just like this site, Ive learned some things and been able to chip in some advice now and then when I have a bit of knowledge.
Only now Ill stop adding my name and my CLC membership number when Im on that site, its unnecessary.

Harry Carlson #16432

Harry Carlson #16432

P.S.  I just now realized that one big advantage of these CLC Forums is that the messages are posted instantly.  

As I said, on the Cadillac Mailing List, some messages take hours or dont go through at all.  Maybe they have to go through a webmaster?

Harry Carlson #16432

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Quote from: Harry Carlson #16432P.S.  I just now realized that one big advantage of these CLC Forums is that the messages are posted instantly.  

As I said, on the Cadillac Mailing List, some messages take hours or dont go through at all.  Maybe they have to go through a webmaster?

Harry Carlson #16432

Gday Harry,

As I said, maybe that is why it is called a "Mailing List"

But, thanks for enlightening me.   I am in enough forums as it is, without going top any more.

And I am sure that you will find this site to your satisfaction, as everytime you add something, or place a question, it atways goes to the top, instantly.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Yann Saunders #12588

I guess its time I stepped in.  I am the "culprit" who, it seems, has confused the whole issue by listing BOTH these forums in the Index page of the Clubs "Cadillac Database".  In fact, the CML (Cadillac Mailing List) has nothing to do with the CLC (Cadillac & La Salle Club).  The former is a straightforward "Question & Answer" forum relating to Cadillac and La Salle automobiles, it was founded about ten years ago by a Belgian friend of mine, Rik Gruwez; he is as devout a Cadillac aficionado and collector as you can ever hope to meet; he is also a CLC member.  The "CLC Forum" was begun by our own (CLC) computer guru, Jeff Hansen. Its purpose is very similar to that of the (earlier) CML, that is to put Cadillac and La Salle aficionados in electronic contact with each other for the purpose of seeking and exchanging facts and information about Cadillacs and La Salles. The reason I listed them together in the "Cadillac Database" is that I consider BOTH forums to be excellent sources of reference for the Internet-savvy Cadillac enthusiast. I would like to see the CLC give more recognition to Riks "CML", but that is a matter for the Board to decide, not for me. I hope this clears up the confusion.

Harry Carlson #16432

Thanks, Yann

Ive learned more about my 58 Eldorado Brougham #406 and my trusty 76 Eldo convertible in the last few weeks than I ever knew, thanks to folks like you and Rik and others.  Im enjoying all of the sites.  I actually contributed a thought, perhaps helpful, once or twice.

I left you a message somewhere asking if I can send you a photo of #406 for the 58 Brougham database when you update it in September.

Regards, Harry Carlson, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan CLC #16432