News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 fleetwood dash

Started by BL 14969, September 02, 2006, 10:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BL 14969

Hi Im restoring a 57 .My Question is Is the end of the dash (up by the windshield supposed to be painted .Its metal and mine needs sanded. what color ? I dont think the leather pad went up that far any insights or pics would be appreciated -Bill

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

The the horizontal metal strips are painted the same color as the dash padding color.The pieces that go up and over the top of the windshield are chrome finished.
HTH,
Ralph

bob haight

I am currently redoing the dash on my 57 Fleetwood, as the pad shrunk like all original 57s do.  If you are referring to the two trim pieces which meet in the middle, they match the dash pad as they are leather-grained like the pad. Other than that, the vinyl pad covers the entire metal panel.
   Do you already have the dash top out of the car?  I finally got mine out, and it was one of the most difficult jobs Ive ever done on the car.  Im still not sure how Ill get it back in without tearing the new pad; the big problem was the air conditioner ducting on the passenger side, as well as not bending the ends of the dash where the metal is cut out for the power window switches.
  I dont think my upper dash pamel has any paint on it; when I took off the covering and the crumbled foam, there was a tarry substance like undercoating over a galvanized panel.  The book says to only glue it at the base of the windshield and where it rolls under on the front.  I plan to use 3M spray 77 to tack some styrofoam padding I got at the upholstery shop to the dash, then stretch the dash cover beginning at the front with some contact adhesive but use no more adhesive until I reach the concave curve at the base of the windshield - its too hard to not get the contact to "telegraph" through if I spread adhesive on the pad.
  Anyone who has done this before, especially reinstalling the upper dash, Im all ears.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Bob,

I had the exact problem and cant imagine how you got the top out without bending the side wings holding the power window switches.
  There’s a little secret, not contained in the Shop Manual. You have to drop the steering column and dash about two inches, which allows the AC plenum to clear the front of the dash. There are two bolts holding the steering column to a brace at the bottom of the dash. Remove the cover and two bolts and the column can be lowered enough that the steering wheel will rest on the seat. At both sides of the dash are bolts that hold the lower metal dash face up in place. These are eccentric type bolts, located under the dash at the extreme ends. The bolts thread vertically through a horizontal surface and can only be seen by looking under the dash. When you loosen these the whole dash will drop down several inches allowing the extra room for the dash pad and plenum to clear the face of the dash. As you do this, be careful lowering the dash and wheel so you don’t damage anything. To install the dash pad, place it over the steering wheel and dash face, raise and bolt the dash face then the steering column.  
   For anyone else attempting to remove a ’57 or ’58 pad, there is another trick you’ll need to know. There’s a hidden screw under the dash pad. It’s located to the left of the radio where the padding rolls around the instrument cluster. You need to loosen the cluster face, push up on the section of the padding on the radio side to expose the screw head and remove it.

I firmly believe the people who designed some of the subassemblies had a very twisted sense of humor.

HTH,
Ralph

Bob Haight

Thanks for the tips, Ralph.  Ive almost finished covering the dash (I made a couple of instrument cluster supports out of some aluminum stock so I could drive the car with the upper dash out) and am getting ready to reinstall the top.  Question - I pulled the steering wheel last time.  Is there room to put the upper dash back in with the wheel still on the column?

Bob H